Thread: Animation Runner Kuromi

1. Animation Runner Kuromi

From the director of Fruits Basket, Now and Then, Here and There, and Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl!

Ever wonder what it would be like to work for an animation studio? Kuromi just landed her dream job at the famous Studio Petit, and boy is she in for a rude awakening! The new head of the ultimate team of slackers, it’s up to her to finish "Time Journeys Episode 2," or fans everywhere will be let down. Will Kuromi's love of cartoons clean up this horrible mess... or make an even bigger one?

Seems like a fun little romp. The low price tag doesn't hurt, either.

AoD review

Unfortunately, it is only 40 minutes long [one episode], but there are a rather hearty number of extras that have been included to make up for the short length.

2. this was the other CPM title i picked up at the BAAF and i didn't really care that much for the show. it's a good little piece, but the short length and the fast paced storytelling just didn't do it for me. give this an hour, slow the pace down a tad, and it'll be worth the grade AoD gave it (including extras).

the whole show, Kuromi basically goes to work, finds no one there, gets promoted, meets the director, runs out to get the animation keys, meets each animator, but doesn't exactly get the keys. repeat the sequence taking out finding no one, and the promotion, but add in her finding out the way to motivate the animators, and then getting the show (barely) completed. all this in a week give or take.

she learns some extra things here and there about the business, about the director, and why she wants to work in the industry. and i guess those are probably the parts that you'll end up caring about the most at the end. the animators could have been used a little more because they could be an interesting bunch, but they kind of aren't. the only thing that makes them interesting is that they each have a quirk that causes them to be unmotivated. except one guy. he seems motivated and works fast, but doesn't look to put effort into it. i'd say that throughout, you do root for Kuromi to complete the episode. it's like in ep.6 of Goldenboy. you root for Kintaro (and the team) to complete their ova on time.

it's a good, fun title that gives a comical look at the production of a show, but it's really unfortunate that it's short. it would have worked out better being shown in episodes. content wise it's good, but it's really the running time and quick pacing that's a bother. at best a C+/B-. the $15-16 tag in that link is a good price for this title. $30 is too much and even $20 might be stretching it.

give Otaku No Video a look as well if Kuromi interests you.

3. The box said "80 minutes". I get half that. Bastards.

You're better off saving your money, this is definite rental-only material at best.