Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supa detail overload

1. Saturn Supa detail overload

Well, for one reason or another, I have been very uninspired lately. Yesterday I scribbled out this robot baby & then set to fill it in with tons of useless detail. It is pretty mindless & relaxing to do fill in stuff like this. It is also very rare to see me do anime or comic style stuff, so this is as close as it gets for me.

Anyhow, here it is.

JM

2. Very impressive work as always, JM. For some reason, it reminds me a little of the ESP Galuda artwork.
    To understand man, walk it shoe on other foots.

3. Vary your line widths more. If you're going to get in there and draw a lot of details, you need to slowly subdivide shapes.

Look at anything that Shirow does, he'll have a main shape, then that shape will be broken down more, and so on and almost every time it'll be done with a finer outline until his super fine details are just whispy strokes.

I can see you were doing that, but it needs to be even more defined.

It's very cool but it's so busy your eye can't pick up anything.

4. Yeah, I would say thicken up some lines for better definition. It's hard to see depth in that.

To me, it looks like that robot is wearing the biggest hat I've ever seen. If that's the case then this just tripled in coolness. (I'm a fan of robots)
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. Blain, all that is very sound advice, but I just was screwing around at work. I wanted it to be overloaded. It's kinda silly, but that was the mood I was in.

Andrew, it isn't a hat, the robot baby has the worlds biggest water gun strapped to his back

JM

6. Heh, I do stuff like that in classes or whatever when I'm not drawing "seriously." Fill a page with patterns and detail. Neat.

7. That's pretty f'in sweet, how long did it take you to draw like that?

8. Sick details . Great work, JM. You should definitely do more anime/comic stuff! BTW, have you tried repeatative detail? Like me drawing little tiny circles on my armor design. Hundreds and hundreds of tiny circles !

9. It's good... but it seems like the details are there for detail's sake. Even with super detail work, you add more elements into the work, not just more lines. Like more mechanical parts like wires, cables, ports, tubes, lights, rivets, switches, buttons, etc...

10. Quote Originally Posted by JM
    I just was screwing around at work. I wanted it to be overloaded. It's kinda silly, but that was the mood I was in.
    JM