Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need reccomendations on a few things...

1. I need reccomendations on a few things...

Okay. I'm ready to try a new anime series, but have been out of the "Hardline" anime loop since 1999-2000.

Two questions:

1) What new(er) should I check out- my favorite series are Eva, Beebop, Macross, and His/Her Circumstances. Is there anything new similar to any of these shows?

2) What is the best anime magazine currently?

Thanx, chums!

2. 1) Crest/Banner of the Stars. Sci-fi epic thing. Also Patlabor, Gasaraki, Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex.

2) Probably Protoculture Addicts, if it's still being published.

3. FLCL! FLCL is a true work of art, totaly unlike any other anime ever. I also highly reccomend Excel Saga.
    http://www.production-ig.co.jp/anime...es/canti04.gif
    The over imaginative Ninja's fought the rum filled pirates untill battle drew to a close.

4. Go pick up the newtype USA magazine, it comes with a demo dvd so you can check new series.

As for a new series to watch, wait for the re-release of eva, Macross Zero. For some action give hellsing a try and the Vampire hunter D:bloodlust movie a chance.

5. Judging by your preferences, I'd heartily suggest Lisenced by Royalty and Heat Guy J. They're very Bebop-like, supposedly (I can personally vouch for Heat Guy J, but my friend only told me about Lisenced by Royalty).

6. > RahXephon for more Evangelion-ish stuff
    > Fruits Basket for more His/Her type stuff
    > GTO because it kicks ass
    > Now and Then, Here and There because it is wonderfully done

Also, Newtype USA is the domestic anime magazine to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerodash
    His/Her Circumstances
    Um. If thats considered a "cute love story" then go with:

Sakura Diaries.
    Video Girl AI.
    Love Hina.

8. Love Hina is a must.
    If you were into Eva and haven't seen Blue Seed yet, then go get it.
    Haibane Remnei(sp) is also a pretty good bet.
    Excel Saga and FLCL are only for you if you like Oddball whacked out slapstick and farce. If you liked Project A-Ko these are a sure bet.

9. Unfortunately, there's tons of "me too" anime that takes a hit title and waters it down and uses a lame gimmick as a hook. Every series you listed is of high quality, and if you want the good stuff then you're gonna have to try out different genres. Some suggestions-
    Escaflowne- for a good fantasy story that mixes mechs, a love triangle, and lots of bloody action.
    Lodoss War OVA- if you want your fantasy anime more D&D-like.
    Serial Experiments Lain- it's mysterious, it's scary, it'll make you think.
    Urusei Yatsura- Rumiko Takashi's first work (Ranma, Inu Yasha), this is my favorite romantic comedy outside of His and Her's. It's MUCH wackier than HandH, though.
    Goldenboy- If you want sex comedy, look no further.
    FLCL- an anime thats all about being "in the moment". Don't try to understand it, just feel it. A unique pleasure.
    For movies, Akira, GITS, Wings of Honneamise, anything Ghibli.
    pwned by Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by Green
    Wings of Honneamise
    Yes.

Watch it. Do not hesitate.