Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4678910 LastLast

Thread: uh... been to IGN lately?

1. Quote Originally Posted by johnk_
    Recentlythey've been getting very funny, although i find that comic was stretching the joke a bit. Some have agreed with me on that.

2. Quote Originally Posted by voltz
    doesn't Bahn and Reno work for IGN? If so, why the hell haven't they commented on this yet?

oh, I'd rather eat at Hardees'!
    Hm to tell you the truth I don't even visit IGN's main page. The only channels I'm interested in are the game channels, so those are bookmarked, nothing else. To be honest with you, if I didn't see this topic here and on Gaming Age, I wouldn't have noticed any chances.
    If my memory of her has an expiration date, let it be 10,000 years.

3. The layout has changed again, this one is even worse.

http://www.ign.com

4. Since everyone asked me to reply, I will:

1.) I don't eat at McDonalds -- don't eat fast food at all.

2.) You have to remember that editorial, sales, marketing, and all of our other departments are just that -- "other departments". If it was up to editors we wouldn't have any advertising at all. But it's not, so we do.

3.) Bahn and Reno probably didn't respond because they're not full time employees of IGN -- just freelancers we commission from time to time -- and therefore aren't familiar with our day-to-day operating procedures.

4.) IGN has done this before with plenty of other things too. Goldmember, EverQuest, EA Sports Network, Freddy vs. Jason, etc. It's nothing new and Gamespy and Gamespot does the same thing with they make marketing deals.

5.) We shouldn't be losing money anymore. We had a profitable 4th quarter last year and just became a private company instead of a public company a few weeks ago. The savings from be de-listed from the NASDAQ alone should be enough to keep us out of serious trouble for a long, long, time.

6.) Magazines are 40% advertisements, they're in the same boat we are -- as the reality is, it's very expensive to run a site that gets billions of pageviews per year -- so advertising accounts for roughly 85% of our total income.

And that's it. Keep bashing "the man" for those of you who are into it. But I remember a time when I wrote for PSi and TNL, that a lot of the TNL regulars and GameFan tavernites wanted to work for anybody they could as long they were in the industry -- as long as the whole "gaming elitist" mentality is around however, you're always going to have people bitch for the sake of bitching.

See you next flame!

Jeremy Dunham
    Games Editorial Manager, IGN.com
    http://users.ign.com/collection/Makaze-IGN

5. Good to see Makaze post here, I'm amazed he didn't give up board posting forever after taking endless shit from SD: HCtP fans.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

6. Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi128
    The layout has changed again, this one is even worse.

http://www.ign.com
    Awesome, I click that link and get an ad for marijuana. Way to teach the kids, IGN!

7. Haven't run into that ad yet, mebbe my Google Toolbar's pop up slayer is taking care of it

And that PA comic was money. They can still be pretty hilarious from time to time.
    omg TNL epics!

8. Check out Gamespot's EA Nation flash ad that appears before the main page.

It's Gamespot, not IGN, that continues to blur the line between news and advertising.

9. red cloak pt. 2?

10. Well...not really, that is a semi-valid complaint.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan