Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your PC spec?

1. Raspberry Your PC spec?

Recently built a PC from scratch, first time that i've attempted this (i've performed minor upgrades such as RAM and PCI cards in the past though) and it has been very rewarding. Saved a lot of money by doing this. I was originally going to stick to the Xbox versions of Half-Life 2 but I thought to myself that for a game this special, I really need it on PC. The recent benchmarks released by Valve vindicate my decision

2GHz AMD Athlon XP (so 2.6GHz really)
    1GB DDR RAM
    120GB + 40GB HDDs
    5.1 sound
    ATi Radeon 9800 pro 128MB
    19" monitor (from my old PC)

Not boasting or anything, I know it will be obsolete in the next couple of months I upgrade every 3 years, the above cost just under the £1000 mark which is not a huge investment considering how long these things last and how essentiel they are in (at least mine) life. It was quite hard putting it together though. The case I bought was designed to be really quiet (Antec Sonata Piano, nice shade of black) so it had rubber screws, brackets for the drives and all sorts of other stuff i'm not used to. The number of wires required to be attached to the motherboard was ridiculous though. Why can't things like the grounds, LEDs, speaker, power etc just be one big wire? It was torture doing this especially because the case didn't have a slide out tray for the motherboard.

So yeah, lets be really geeky and talk about PC bits.

2. Because if you're like me, you remove the speaker from the case. I used to upgrade my PC constantly. Your PC is only as good as the slowest component (no sense in getting a nice P4 w/ HT if you're going to use a crummy 2 MB cache 7200 RPM drive), after all. But nowadays, since there is next to nothing I want to play, I don't care what my PC has in it. I sold my 4600Ti (which was 400 bucks when I bought it), and plopped a GF2 Ti.

I made this PC in April of last year. Right now, it's got a P4 1.6A @ 2.3 GHz, 512 MB PC3200, Audigy Pt, 40GB IBM HD, GF2 Ti...and I'll probably use it for a while longer, at which time I'll probably get a Powerbook or something equally snazzy.

We have basically the same system, except I don't have an extra 40 GB HD, and I went with the cheaper 9500Pro than the 9800.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

4. AMD Athlon XP 2700+
    ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
    512MB DDR 2700
    Seagate 120Gig HD
    Lite-On 52x24x52 CD-RW

It's still not finished, but it's been getting the job done quite nicely =D I had to build it for HL2...it was my mission from god.
    Play Guitar Hero //

5. I finally bought the parts for my first PC a week ago, still getting them.

ASUS some... number Deluxe Motherboard
    AMD 2600 XP 2.13Ghz 333fsb Processor
    512 MB of DDR RAM (One fucking Gig Sidez, my god.)
    Geforce4 TI4200 (128MB ram)
    AXP (I think) 500 Watt Power supply
    120 GIG HD (7200 RPM and whatnot...... It's E.I.D.E)
    52x/32x/52x CD-ROM
    XXx DVD Drive.
    I'm stealing my old floppy disk from our like.. 7 year old PC.
    A really slick Case (I'll throw on an image sometime soon).
    And A really shitty 7 year old 15 in Monitor.

All this cost me $660 I compared it to a Dell (Dell is actually a really good mainstream retailer. A dell with the same specs cost about $848.

Posted by Sl1p not S|1p.
    It's still not finished, but it's been getting the job done quite nicely =D I had to build it for HL2...it was my mission from god.
    Not my main reason, but one of em.

6. P4 at 3.03GHz
    1GB RDRAM
    ATI Radeon 9700 pro
    200 GB hard drive
    Sound blaster audigy 2 sound card
    4X DVD+R/RW CD-RW combination drive

7. My setup is approaching three years old, now, and I will definitely have to upgrade this fall if I want to experience HL2 and Doom 3 to their fullest

AMD Athlon 1.1 Ghz
    256MB DDR Ram
    Viper V770 64MB graphics card
    Sound Blaster XGamer
    120 GB HD
    Cendyne 15X10X40 CDR/RW drive
    19" Flat Screen ViewSonic CRT A90f (I love this thing)

The new setup I'm planning on putting together will be an absolute demon. 2.5 to 3.1 Ghz, 256MB Radeon Sapphire, 512 to 1 gig ram....it'll be glorious.
    omg TNL epics!

8. PIII 733
    ASUS CUSL2 mobo
    256MB RAM
    SB LIVE! Value
    Radeon VIVO 64MB DDR (7200 eq.)
    60GB (2 HDs)
    DVD Drive
    Creative CD-RW

it was amazing when I got it... but it still serves its purpose well enough

Right clicking my computer icon tells me that I have:

2.4 ghz Pentium 4
    448 MB of RAM

Its a Compaq presario 2525us laptop. I didn't have much of a choice of what went into it.

But it was free... so fuck it.

10. 2.1ghz XP 2600
    512mb DDR
    120gig HD
    GeForce 4 Ti 4600

I really, really pray that this runs HL2 good
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.