Page 1 of 11 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: M$ tried to buy Nintendo

1. M$ tried to buy Nintendo

I don't normally like posts that consist entirely of posting a link to a site, but I found this interesting. I can't believe i don't already see a topic about this.

anyways, it turns out SEGA wasn't the only company microsoft wanted to buy. The largest videogame publisher in the world, Nintendo, was also on Microsoft's agenda. MS offered $25 billion dollars, but since nintendo has about $10 billion in the bank, that would have made it more like $15 billion(or so i'd assume)

http://www.gamers.com/news/1140732

2. for all you naysayers out there...this proves Bill Gates is truly Satan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

Hey. Look at Nintendo's rep. Wouldn't you want them on your system?
    Taking it one day at a time.

4. I saw that article and just laughed at Microsoft even thinking of offering a measly $25 Billion to purchase them. Nintendo made over $800 Million in software sales alone, last year.

Nintendo has too much pride, to let a company like Microsoft buy them out.

5. I can just imagine the conversation....

GATES: I will give you $25 billion dollars for your company
    YAMAUCHI: NO!
    GATES: Do you know what $25 billion dollars looks like?(opens very large breifcase)
    YAMAUCHI: *passes out*

but seriously, i'm glad nintendo didn't accept. nintendo makes great games, and who knows what would have happened if they were under a company that is more concerned with meeting annual fiscal projections, multimedia devices and american-style games. it sure would have made things interesting though...

6. I don't think think Nintendo were really serious in Microsoft's offer and that they simply went along to see what they were cooking. Either way, thank God for Yamauchi for backing out of the deal. Bill Gates needs to learn that you can't buy everything.

7. Originally posted by gamevet
    I saw that article and just laughed at Microsoft even thinking of offering a measly $25 Billion to purchase them. Nintendo made over $800 Million in software sales alone, last year.

Nintendo has too much pride, to let a company like Microsoft buy them out.
    i have to agree with that and i think its the same for any of the big Japanese developers

Q-Tip Guest
    God, if MS bought Nintendo.....I'd actually consider buying an x-box..cause maybe then Metroid wouldn't get bastardized into a FPS, Zelda might become a good game again, and maybe, just maybe, I wouldn't have to suffer anymore goddamn Mario, Pokemon games ever again...*sigh*....and all would be right with the world once again...a man can dream can't he??

9. Originally posted by Q-Tip
    God, if MS bought Nintendo.....I'd actually consider buying an x-box..cause maybe then Metroid wouldn't get bastardized into a FPS, Zelda might become a good game again, and maybe, just maybe, I wouldn't have to suffer anymore goddamn Mario, Pokemon games ever again...*sigh*....and all would be right with the world once again...a man can dream can't he??
    Is your head filled with Jello?

Anyway, ignoring the satanic implications, I would suspect that such a purchase would have only created more antitrust woes for MS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

10. Originally posted by Johnny Undaunted
    I don't think think Nintendo were really serious in Microsoft's offer and that they simply went along to see what they were cooking. Either way, thank God for Yamauchi for backing out of the deal. Bill Gates needs to learn that you can't buy everything.
    i agree 100% and some times you just have to love that stubborn old japanese man