Thread: Shining Soul

1. Mega Drive Shining Soul

Well, the game is supposedly right around the corner, Sept 16 according to EBGames (day after my bday ). I really hope the date sticks, since I haven't heard much about it, but I'm somewhat confident that it will because it has been reviewed in EGM and GRM magazine (7, 7.5, 6.5 for EGM, 7 for GMR). Anyone else excited/planning to pick the game up? I'm going to be taking advantage of the Toys R Us sale to pick it up myself, along with Boktai and FFTA. Going to be some good times for my SP ahead
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

2. Already picked up the English Euro rev back in February with the FFTA Pearl White GBASP. Definitely a fun game, though it's one that just begs to be played with friends.
    omg TNL epics!

3. Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    I'm going to be taking advantage of the Toys R Us sale to pick it up myself, along with Boktai and FFTA.
    Damn, I might just do exactly that. Unless they let me put the free game tword a preorder. In which case it would be Boktai, FFTA and Fire Emblem.
    A is for action

4. I heard a lot of not so great stuffs about it...

Though I'll probably break down and get it anyways.

5. I have heard many good things and I have played a bit and it's decent for what it is. Most complaints seem to stem from the fact that it's not Shining FORCE. I'd prefer Force too, but it is what it is and I am cool with that. Anyway, I am picking it up.............. but not anytime soon.

6. I've got the Euro English version and my advice is to pass on it. It's big flaw is that for a portable game it wants you to play through the dungeons at its pace, not yours.

The dungeons have a good number of floors, starting off shallow and getting deeper the farther in you play. Large dungeons = longer time to explore them and kill all the critters. The problem is that when you save and reload, you end up back in the middle of town and have to restart from the top level. If you don't have 45 minutes to an hour for some dungeons you're basically not ever going to beat the game. Much like I never got to.

Other than that fatal (for me) flaw, I didn't find the game all that engaging. Very little story, almost no characterization, and repetitive gameplay didn't exactly conspire to rob me of my time.

James

7. I thought the TRU thing was fake...

I'm interested in this, though it takes a backseat to SMB3, MMBN3, Boktai, FFTA, and a shit load of other games.

8. Yea, I played about 80% through this game in two days. While at first it seems pretty cool, it gets bland pretty quickly. And by that time, you're already almost done with the game (I think there's something like five areas).

Graphics are pretty outdated by today's GBA standards, gameplay is very simple and very repetitive, and (like it's been said) the story is as boring and straight-forward as it gets (kill the Dark Dragon, be a hero).

However... if you want to link this up for four players, I'm sure it'd be a blast. If you're thinking about getting it for single player, I'd advise against it.