Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Get of flashback!! Osman/Cannon Dancer

1. Frown Get of flashback!! Osman/Cannon Dancer

Mitchell?

Who the hell are they?

I'm not sure if they're an actual Capcom subsidary or made of ex-Capcom staff (Considering that thse guys made games "for" Capcom like Buster Bros./Pang!, Gamshara, and Ko no Tako, to name a few), but you'll definitely see how this game is much like Strider-only without the sword.

Osman (called Cannon Dancer in Japan) is also a platform/action game from 1996. Your mission is to save the world(?) from an evil menace known as Abdullah the Slayer. Your main means of offense are your fighting skill (It's the only way, in fact). Like good ol' Hiryu, our hero can climb walls, run down slopes, and slide along the ground. In this game, you have a few more techniques available such as throwing and "power-up" attack which is done by wiggling the joystick up and down while attacking! When things get really tricky, just use a fatal attack (which is something like a bomb). Grabbing Power-up items gives you shadows like in Ninja Spirit, or expands your life gauge.

Osman takes a more serious, and sometimes very strange tone with the graphics. You fight everything from soldiers to sports cars to tigers and girls who float on fireballs. Graphically, it's all right. Might not be groundbreaking, but the gameplay seems to do it justice. Even though it's a fairly short five rounds, you don't take this game lightly. As for the sound, it's good. Not memorable, but it doesn't really suck either. Maybe I have to listen to it more...

Overall, it's definitely a cool collector's item and a good challenge for anyone who's up to it. If you do happen to see one around, give it a try. You might not see it again for a while.

*P.S. I don't know why the bottom of the screenshots are cut off*

2. Good find Seven! I've never even heard of this game let alone seen pics of it. The resemblances to Strider are pretty noticeable . What system/platform did you say it was available on?

3. Oh yeah...it's an arcade game.

4. wow, yeah, that looks hella strider-esque. is it available in any emulator?

I don't think it has been emulated yet but I would love to be proven wrong. Being a huge fan of Strider 1, I have wanted to play this for a long time.

6. Great thread, 7F!

I've been wanting to play this very badly since I learned of it's existance. Especially since I was sorta let down by Capcom's own Strider 2. Unfortunately, I've yet to dive into the PCB collecting scene, and it seems to be near-impossible to find for even those in-the-know. So it's safe to say I'm anxiously awaiting the day that the game is emulated in MAME.

Either that... or find a PCB and a cheap supergun (hah!).

7. War-Zard and Cannon Dancer are probably my most wanted games right now. Excellent choices, Seven. Mitchell is not a Capcom subsidary, but Cannon Dancer was made by the Strider Hiryuu author. Relationship between Capcom and Mitchell is more like a brotherhood. They market the games of each other in different countries. Pang / Buster Bros series (as Gamshara) was never made for Capcom, they just distributed the game in the US. SFC version is another story. Never heard of a game called "Ko no Tako". Are you refering to "Choko"?

Emulation of Cannon Dancer is not going to happen any time soon. It uses a very protected Data East board (the same used by Joe & Mac Returns, for instance) and there's not enough interest to look into it nowadays.

8. The only guy I know who has a PCB of this game ordered it direct from Mitchell years ago, it was probably custom made for him, at that. I'd love to own it myself, or see it ported to ANYTHING, or even play it emulated, but I'm aware that for the time being this just isn't going to happen.

Pisses me off. I only found out this game existed earlier this year, and I've seen some killer videos. Looks like a ton of fun. And yeah, like Wily said, Capcom's Strider 2 was a huge letdown, and this looks to be the real Strider 2 I wanted.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Recap
    Never heard of a game called "Ko no Tako". Are you refering to "Choko"?
    Ko no Tako is a new Mitchell puzzle game that pits you as an octopus that has to match colored 55-gallon drum cans. It was at the Capcom booth during the Amusement Machine Show last September. Like Gamshara, I think it runs on a System 10 board (which was used for Mr. Driller.)

You know Gamshara is not Pang!, right? It's the Cabal type-shooter set in a twisted fuedal Japan.

10. So Ko no Tako is the newest Mitchell game? Any site to find more info / screenshots?

Yep. I know what Gamshara is. I was trying to say that it's not made for Capcom, like the Pang series. My English sometimes sucks, you know.

Are the Cannon Dancer videos anywhere to d/l?