Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Sunsoft Thread

1. Fester's Quest was great, it just required a rapid-fire game pad. Without it, I have to admit that it might exude a bit of suck factor. With it, it's a whole different game.

James

Is Dead Zone any good? I know it's a Famicom disk game but what kind of game is it? An RPG?

What is Wings of Madoola? It doesn't ring a bell.

Hebereke is pretty cool. I played one of those.

I can't say I cared for Fester's Quest or Gremlins 2.

Anyone played Firepower 2000 on SNES? I remember EGM giving it good reviews.

I remember someone who was a huge Lunar fan buying Albert Odyssey for Saturn thinking it was a Game Arts game. Boy, was he disappointed.

3. Originally posted by NeoZeedeater
    Is Dead Zone any good? I know it's a Famicom disk game but what kind of game is it? An RPG?

What is Wings of Madoola? It doesn't ring a bell.
    Dead Zone is an adventure game similar to Snatcher or Famicom Tantei Club, while Wings of Madoola is an action RPG for the Famicom. Unfortunately, I haven't played either of them yet.

The main thing that has kept me from buying a Famicom Disk System is I'm afraid the disks might be demagnetizing and be dead already or soon. I hope my C64 disks in my closet still work but I'll have to buy another disk drive to try them out.

5. NeoZeedEater: You can still order disk cards straight from Nintendo, believe it or not.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/fc_disk/index.html

Whoa! That's awesome.

I should update my web browser to display Japanese text though. It's all garbled on my screen.

7. I should have thought to ask this in my first post in this thread, but does anyone know who composed the music for Sunsoft's NES games?

8. Sunsoft seems pretty quiet these days, but they used to be capable of some real gems in the NES/Famicom days. Hebereke, Raf World, Wings of Madoola, and the awesome Gimmick. Batman NES is still one of the greatest movie-to-game adaptations ever, just because it's a classic action/platformer. Even some of their older titles like Ikki and Super Arabian are worth noting. Though, like most people, my favorite 8-bit Sunsoft title is still Blaster Master / Chou-Wakusei Senki Meta Fight. One of my most played games from that era, I always wish it had recived a "proper" 2D update, and in a sense, I'm still waiting. Though I might check out Blasting Again as it's a $9 title.

Love the cover art.

Although I haven't played it, I thought I'd bring this to people's attention:

Interesting, huh?

Since the 8-bit era, the only Sunsoft game to really catch my eye has been Waku Waku 7. One of the better fighting games from the later half of the 1990s, and still fun to play today. Though Astra Superstars, the assumed follow-up, left alot to be desired.

9. Originally posted by Sqoon
    The PC version is still the best-selling PC game ever.
    I'm sure there was a news story here about The Sims being the best selling PC game now. It was either on the old boards or got pushed off, because I can't find it now.

That reminds me, Bahn: Archive your news and features, dammit! First that Dan Jevons interview wouldn't work, and now I can't find old news.

10. Methinks Waku Waku 7 is Sunsoft's finest game. Judging from the ending credits, it seems the game is based on a manga. Given the game's premise, it probably would be a DBZ ripoff or some other "legend of the monkey king".

I dont think anyone has mentioned Sunsoft's attempt to make a mascot: Aero the Acrobat for the SNES and Genny. I think there was even a sequel made. The first Areo was not half bad- a solid little platformer not unlike Sonic.