Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: GBA2 in 2004?

1. Mega Drive GBA2 in 2004?

Reports Put GBA2 in 2004
    The latest Nintendo Official Magazine is out in the UK and in it there is a report that the successor to the Game Boy Advance is scheduled for release sometime in 2004, and that development kits will likely be delivered to developers before this Christmas. It's not a hard confirmation of anything, but it certainly looks like Nintendo is fast preparing a new handheld to compete with Sony's PlayStation Portable during 2004's holiday season.

* http://gbacentral.net/
    If it happens I can't complain. I have 20 GBA games already and I have gotten sooo much enjoyment out of the system.....

... but I would be mildly annoyed if I had sprung for a SP only to see it out of date in a year. Of course, one of the reasons I didn't buy one was because Nintendo is famous for rather short lived Gameboy incarnations (GB Pocket, GB Color, etc). They always get away with this nonsense because it's been ages since there was any serious competition in the portable sector... but now with PSP (and possibly others) joining up to compete it may not be quite so easy anymore.

Ah well, at the very least competition should be good for everyone who likes portable gaming. It will be most interesting to see what PSP and GBA2 look like.

2. I haven't bought an SP yet but I would be pissed if this were true. How many Gameboys do people need? Pick a design and stick with it!

3. what a fuckin joke. but yet there will be many who will buy it. oh well.

4. I really hope not. Though I have many games for my GBA, and gotten a huge amount of enjoyment from it, I really hope it stays around as long as possible For me it's like the SNES reincarnated, which was probably my favorite era in gaming other than the Dreamcast, and I'd really love to see just more and more games for it, whether original or even more ports. I'm really not looking forward to the 'PSX era' of portables. Going through the limits of poor 3d capabilities (compared to what is now available) again doesn't sound very exciting =/
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

5. Hey, I bought an SP when it launched in Japan, but I'm totally ok with this happening. It's certainly better than Nintendo doing nothing and letting Sony suck up all it's marketshare, that's for sure. If you want to get upset with anyone, get upset with Sony... if they hadn't unveiled plans for the PSP, Nintendo certainly wouldn't have had to do something like this.

And hey, who here doesn't like blaming Sony for things anyway?

6. I remember talking about a new portable from a little birdie as hinted by an "industry" board member, and some guy got...furious.

7. nintendo's scared shitless, they don't want to resort to becoming a 3rd party (obviously).

I shouldn't bothing complaining, they ain't holding back the market like they did during their 8-bit years.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

8. sggg, check your PMs.

Meh. Even if a new GBA2 does come out in a year, software for the GBA will still flow like water.

What scares me is the prospect that Nintendo will be "trading-up" to 3D for this new handheld.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

9. hey what does that make out to you? If they stop 2D support, maybe developers wouldn't have GBA for an excuse and bring it back to consoles. Look at GGX and tell me where the hell is my next 2D castlevania?
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

10. Quote Originally Posted by voltz
    hey what does that make out to you? If they stop 2D support, maybe developers wouldn't have GBA for an excuse and bring it back to consoles.
    The reason they don't do 3D on GBA is because they can't, not because it's a convenient excuse to continue to produce 2D games...which, incedentally, is exactly why 2D has all but disappeared from the face of console gaming. Because on consoles, they can do 3D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.