Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Xbox Live update deletes files off your hard drive.

1. Yield Xbox Live update deletes files off your hard drive.

The Unwanted Online Update

Today, by mistake, I selected the menu item "XBOX LIVE" again, and I was surprised to see a screen that said "Xbox Live is updating your system. Please don't turn off your Xbox console." - I never asked Microsoft do do any update, as I was very content with my Xbox as it was, and there was no warning screen of any kind, it just started updating the second I selected "XBOX LIVE". Fearing that turning off my Xbox could harm my data stored on the hard drive, I followed the onscreen orders, waiting for the update to be finished.
    My Data was Gone!

About five minutes later, the update was complete. I used MechAssault to run Linux again to check whether my files were still intact. So I saw that Microsoft has deleted some data from my Xbox hard disk! Some files and directories on C: had been replaced, and the files I stored in these directories had been deleted!
    Click the link for the full story:
    http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/do...otedelete.html

Comments?

2. i don't understand why he had his xbox properly connected to the internet if he was using it to run linux. stupid. whether it's legal or not, it's obvious that microsoft will try whatever they can to stop this sort of thing.

3. was his modchip on or off when he did the update?

4. if you read the article his Xbox isnt modded

he used the Mechassualt trick to load linux onto it
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

Online gaming is a crock.

6. This whole thing is causing a big stink over at xbox-scene.com Nearly daily they have another article about it.

7. What is this Mechassault trick?

8. Microsoft spies on Xbox gamers. All Xbox Live users, even if they don't use any "Live" content, as well as all other users that have set up their networking correctly, are automatically registered at Microsoft with their serial number each time they start SplinterCell (and possibly other games), without being asked.
    http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/do...honeshome.html

Interesting.

9. What is the advantage of having Linux on the XBOX, please enlighten me because frankly I don't get it

Let's see, he was using XBOX Live services without signing up for XBOX Live and he was running Linux on his XBOX that the system wasn't intended to use... please if this happens to someone who isn't hacking their XBOX then I'm interested, so who cares about this idiot's files

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf
    Let's see, he was using XBOX Live services without signing up for XBOX Live and he was running Linux on his XBOX that the system wasn't intended to use... please if this happens to someone who isn't hacking their XBOX then I'm interested, so who cares about this idiot's files
    It's another chance to bitch about Microsoft, duh.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery