Thread: Sakura Wars: The Movie

1. PC Sakura Wars: The Movie

Couldn't snag Scryed #2, GTO #10, or Chobits #4 today, so I settled for this instead, hoping it would be good.

Sadly, it's average. And I doubt playing the games would improve it any.

The plot is your typical evil genius plotting to take over the world with his army of demon robots just so he can grin and laugh a lot. And of course, the main heroines are set out to stop him. The blond girl on the cover is a new addition to the crew, but she (along with pretty much everyone else) doesn't really add anything to the film.

I dunno, I expected to see something epic along the lines of Tenchi Muyo in Love!, where everyone in the cast was given a fair share of screen time and the whole thing felt larger than life. But somehow it doesn't here. Maybe it's because they spend 15-20 minutes or so just doing that stupid CG launch sequence before the first big battle.

And for all the Ohgami fans out there, sadly, you get jipped(sp?) also, because he doesn't show up until the very end, and even then his presence barely lifts the film from being subpar. Even the ending is a confusing, disappointing mess that fails to deliver a true resolve to everything.

Was the blond acting? Or was she possessed by the supposed "Demon King" whom we never see in the film? And does she stay with the troop? Or are you too bored stiff at this point to even care?

One thing's for sure, the film (as well as the DVD) is definitely a looker, especially the CG robots. Wouldn't expect anything less from Production IG.

All in all, I'd only recommend this if you're truly a Sakura Wars fan, and if you're not, maybe a rental at best. I can't really consider this a keeper, though. You're better off with the games.

Playing the games, all 4 of them at that, is basically essential for watching this movie. Not to mention that this movie basically serves as a lead-in to Sakura Taisen 5.

The 20 minutes of battle-prep, the reason why Ogami isn't there until the end... it's all relevant from the games.

... I also don't know what posessed you to mention Tenchi Muyo for a basis of comparison. The only thing that could make Tenchi more homosexual than what he is in the movies is a set of pumps and red lipstick.

3. Playing the games, all 4 of them at that, is basically essential for watching this movie. Not to mention that this movie basically serves as a lead-in to Sakura Taisen 5.

The 20 minutes of battle-prep, the reason why Ogami isn't there until the end... it's all relevant from the games.
    I thought in part 4 he already returned to Japan and Erica and co. followed him...or was that sequel considered irrelevant by the creators themselves?

... I also don't know what posessed you to mention Tenchi Muyo for a basis of comparison. The only thing that could make Tenchi more homosexual than what he is in the movies is a set of pumps and red lipstick.
    I was talking about the film as a whole, not the character himself.

Yeah. He came and left, after 4.

Hence, the lead in to 5.

5. Quote Originally Posted by dog$
    Yeah. He came and left, after 4.

Hence, the lead in to 5.
    That all depends on what ending you get in 4 though.
    Get Sakura ending, Ogami stays in Japan.
    Get Erica ending, he sets up shop in France.
    Either way, I thought he wasn't supposed to be in ST5.

The movie takes place while Ogami is still in Paris during ST3. There's a call at the end of the game that prompts him to leave, which is a tie in with the movie. The new girl was the leader of the original kobu team that Orihime was a part of and will be the leader of the team in ST5.

I don't know how anyone could like TM in Love without knowing the OAVs or TV series since the movie spends zero time on characterization so it's an odd comparison.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

6. Quote Originally Posted by Ammadeau
    I don't know how anyone could like TM in Love without knowing the OAVs or TV series since the movie spends zero time on characterization so it's an odd comparison.
    What I was trying to say when I made that comparison was that I wanted to see each member of the main cast get their fair share of the spotlight. However, here they don't really feel all that prominent. One prime example: Sumire. She could've (and should've) stolen the whole show, yet here she hardly stands out at all, which is rather disappointing given that she had an entire OVA episode made for her retirement.

I think the only thing most people will remember from this film is how incredibly bad the Japanese actors recite the English lines. Best one went to Maria, by far.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Freeter
    I think the only thing most people will remember from this film is how incredibly bad the Japanese actors recite the English lines. Best one went to Maria, by far.
    After playing through 5 games (including the latest remake), it was a treat to hear what they'd sound like in English, even though their lines were very stilted. Sakura: "Nice-to-meet-you."

8. ...I take it that this movie is a lot better if you are familiar with the games?

I was confused/bored with this one from the get-go.