Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boogiepop Phantom - wow is an understatement

1. Boogiepop Phantom - wow is an understatement

This is the second-best anime I've ever seen (Bebop being #1).

Same style as Lain, but with many layers and much more substance.

I don't want to say too much due to spoilers, but the amount of content and how it was portrayed was simply mind-blowing.

As great as it was after the first viewing, watching it with the commentary shed light on just how ingenious the structure is. And what a perfect soundtrack. The dub was so good I didn't even notice it was dubbed.

Bizarre yet poignant, minimalistic yet brilliantly subtle animation, insightful yet ordinary characters, dark yet uplifting....anime doesn't get much better than this in my eyes.

If you haven't watched it, I recommend you do so - you're in for quite an experience.

If you have watched it, post here - I can't wait to talk about it!

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

2. Bout damn time!

You want to talk about it then lets begin, hope V drops in on this little chat.

I'll come back later and post my thoughts on this series, although I already did that on one of the older versions of this board but I guess I'll have to do it again.

D

3. You Rang!!!!

Damn you guys!!
    Ive only watched volume 1 of Boogiepop....if I had my car i'd run out and grab the next volume right now, alas..I dont <sniff>.
    So far though I think its wonderful.
    Its dark (I mean...really dark!!), strange, and has great character design (on Boogiepop anyways).
    I can tell I wont love it as much as Lain (after watching Lain 3 times all the way through last month..my love for it shot through the ozone), but I know it'll be amazing. Cant wait ta see the connecting of the stories (like dyomides mentioned before).

Strangely enough, just like with Lain, I absotively love the opening theme song, but cant stand the ending...go figure.

signed

verbal

(off topic)
    Hey D!!
    Did you see that Funimation pushed back the date of Blue Gender vol 3?? Its already been damn near 4 months since vol 2 got released, WTF???

4. lv: Curiously (or maybe not so), I thought the same thing about not loving it as much as Lain through B-pop vol.1.....but as I stated, my feelings changed tremendously. The tricks played on the viewer throughout the series are astounding, and give you a deep appreciation for what the makers were trying to achieve. I guess what I'm trying to say is....prepare yourself for a SERIOUS trip. Maybe not as far out as Lain, but it's still pretty out there. The criss-crossing of all the different plot lines is pulled off brilliantly.

For the record, I strongly prefer BP's closing song. I always skip the opener.

d: Sorry about you having to reiterate...I don't know what took me so long. I suppose I wasn't convinced it would be THIS good. Have you watched it w/the commentary? Revelatory. I also dug the producer notes and character bios on the 4th disc - I was glad they weren't on 1-3 because I know I would have looked at em and gotten spoiled.

I don't want to spoil things for lv...but was there a particular episode that hit home with you? For me it was the one @ the restaurant w/Rie. It captured the essence of obsession perfectly. And would you believe I never guessed Toka's duality until ep. 12? Needless to say it was a sledgehammer to the skull.

5. I watched the first episode so far and...I don't get it. Guess I'm too low brow or something, but for the life of me it made no sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

6. Originally posted by Hero
    I watched the first episode so far and...I don't get it. Guess I'm too low brow or something, but for the life of me it made no sense.
    Heh, I've watched the first six episodes and its only beginning to make sense ^_^

- Kabuki

7. No I haven't watched with the commentary on, I completly forgot that it came with that extra. I'll make sure to check that out. I enjoyed quite a few episodes equally, the second episode and the Brother/sister ep come to mind first though. I don't want to go into detail as of yet till V catches up to us. I also want to check that director commentary to see what they have to say about it as well.

So hurry up V and get your act together, as for Blue I did see that and I'm getting pissed cause I'm tottally in the mood for it right now. On an unrelated note I watche the first vol. of Yu Yu Hakusho and I must say I really enjoyed it. Somehow I don't think this series will appeal to your taste V but still I say rent or buy the first one and give it a shot. I myself am singing on for the massive task of collecting this beast.

D

8. Well, This series sounds quite intriguing. Once I get through my present Anime stash, I will check it out. Probably will get 1st dvd to see if I like it, and if soo, I will get the rest. I like very strange things once in a while

9. Hero: You're not lowbrow! BP is set up so that the whole is greater than the sum of each episode. I don't think it's meant to be watched as single episodes. There's too much connectivity between eps. I think watching one episode is like having one piece of a puzzle - once you've got all the pieces, the whole makes sense.

kabuki: It only gets better, and makes more sense as you go.

D: The commentary points out a lot of things I was totally unaware of. Great stuff.

Despair: Yeah, check out the first disc. If you get into it, I'm sure you'll really dig the series.

10. dyomides you crazy mf'er

You're my hero..ive yet to grow big enough testes to take on a REALLY Looooooooong series and here you are workin on what 2,3??
    In the immortal words of Riisu (R.I.pieces you dirty rotten sonuvab!t@h!!! If you come back to life all kill ur ass again!!! "Love lee")

dyomides 0wnZ j00!!!!!!

You guys have got me though...im gonna go get vol 2 right now. I guess I dont have a reason to wait on this one anymore...seein as how my previous reason (Fooly Cooly) is stuck in Synch-Point hell.

smell ya later

lee vicious