Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

1. Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

Looks like vol. 1 of this is due out on 12/16 [from ADV.] Can anyone who may have seen the fansub comment on this show? I'm interested.

http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/d...views/2592.php

2. Wahoo! I think I'll be picking this up. I love the parodies the show does - it follows the themed-episode format, sort of like Excel Saga. It's pretty much Gainax's usual quality (which is to say, very good). The show sort of started to wear thin over its 13 episodes, but I did watch it over a very short period of time (a couple of days), so that probably hurt my impression of it. I'd love to see it on DVD, though.

'Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai' still rolls off the tongue better than whatever they end up using for the English title (it keeps changing). :P

3. They're calling it WHAT?!?!?
    What happened to Abenobashi Magical Shopping District? ...or the original: Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai?
    Ah, well. At least we're getting this great series here. It'll be worth a second watch.
    EDIT: Oh, yeah. Impressions... lesse...
    Funny stuff. VERY funny stuff. Moreso than FLCL, even. The show basically does a good job of making satirical pokes at everything known to man, from Magical Girl anime to American cinema by having the two main characters jump around to alternate universes of the Abenobashi shopping district that may or may not contain dinosaurs, war, or film noir. It's very explicit, though, again, moreso than FLCL. Lemme put it this way... in the second to last episode there's a car made out of women with bare tits for hood scoops. In the same episode, there's a chacter who says "fucking" before every other word he says. Not for kids, but I'm hoping it won't be censored. Rather, if it is, I ain't buying it.
    GREAT series, though. Buy it if it ain't censored, and you won't be disappointed.
    EDIT 2: Added spoiler tags so I don't ruin anyone's life.

4. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee
    there's a car made out of women with bare tits for hood scoops. In the same episode, there's a chacter who says "fucking" before every other word he says.
    And now, a white block:

It's a really great bit, in the Hollywood "oh you crazy american's" parody episode. The character's speaking Japanese except for the heavily emphasized English word FUCKING every couple seconds.

And for those of you who aren't reading the white block:

I'm buying and I won't regret it.
    Subatomic Brainfreeze, Licensed Professional

5. I've only heard the soundtrack, but this news has me piqued.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Click_Stick
    ...The return of Vid-Notes?
    Alright! Those were great in Excel Saga!
    Glad to see there's a box, too.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Hero
    I've only heard the soundtrack, but this news has me piqued.
    What's the soundtrack like?
    I thought you were gay.... i guess not.