Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat

1. Uh-oh Heat

I'm a huge fan of this film. I remember going to see it in the theater, and feeling depressed when it was over because I enjoyed it so much. I took my dad to see it the next day, and had an even better time than the first.

Heat has an amazing cast, including Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, John Voight, Natalie Portman, Tom Sizemore, Val Kilmer, Ashley Judd, Amy Brenneman, cameos by Henry Rollins and Tone-Loc, etc etc. Not only was it noted for its incredible climactic busted-bank-heist gunfight in the L.A. streets, but it had some believable and well-written (and acted) characters.

Michael Mann did a fantastic job writing and directing. He was able to portray both Pacino's and DeNiro's characters sympathetically despite their obvious personal problems, and handled the action scenes as well as anyone. I always think that gunfights are more effective when you are involved with the characters, and Heat pulls that off as well as any film I've seen. Almost every shot is carefully and, I think, beautifully photographed - I think Mann cared a lot about getting this film right.

Also worth noting is the soundtrack, mostly composed by Kronos Quartet, but it also featured Moby's great track "God Moving Over the Face of the Waters."

One of my all-time favorites. It has aged very well, too. Despite the fact I know the plot and everything inside and out, it doesn't get old because I think Heat is an example of filmmakers and actors working to the best of their abilities. I could understand why some might think it slow and plodding, and that's cool, but even though it's almost three hours long, for me it's over far too quickly. It's the kind of screenplay I hope I will someday write.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

2. Bio, Heat takes place in Miami

Otherwise you spot on Great movie, and I loved that gunfight.

The only thing I didnt like that they had to kill DeNiro.

3. This is a great tag, isn't it, Despair?

4. Come on, I fogot I am sick today, cut me some slack.

5. After playing GTA: Vice City I wanted to see some of the films that inspired the game, the two movies I saw were Carlito's Way and this. Now Carlito's Way was great, but I didn't enjoy this one as much, if at all. I watched it for the first time a few months ago, and I've already forgotten most of the film, and why I didn't like it. But I do remember falling asleep during it.

6. I love this movie, great lines, action, and skillfull direction that doesn't make me feel like I'm sitting through a 3-hour movie. Did I say great lines?

(phone conversation between Neil and Van Zant)

Neil: Tell you what: keep the money.

Van Zant: What?

Neil: ....keep...the....money.

Van Zant: It's a lot of money! What are you doing?

Neil: What am I doin'? I'm talkin' into an empty telephone.

Van Zant: I don't understand.

Neil: 'cause there is a dead man on the other end of this line...
    (Neil hangs up on Van Zant)

Bad to the bone. Now I have to go watch this again.

7. "hey guys! I just saw Heat!"

"...huh? I saw that like ten years ago"

- Jim Gaffigan

8. This is a great film. The shootout after the bank robbery is one of the finest I have seen.

And Despair, the film takes place in Los Angeles. Check here or here.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Despair
    Come on, I fogot I am sick today, cut me some slack.
    Ha, don't worry, DeNiro dies/gets fat/meets a bad fate in like every of his R movies.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Despair
    Bio, Heat takes place in Miami
    You aren't seriious, are you?

Heat is in Los Angeles. Downtown, on Figureoa, Drive in on La Cieniga, house on Malibu, Sanwa Bank Building downtown, etc, etc.

Personally, it's one of my favorite movies.

My brother likes it, but hates the ending. It doesn't bother me like that, since it had to end one of 2 ways.

It's interesting to see 2 men on opposite sides of the law that are only defined by what they do, or who they are after.

9.5 whatevers out of 10

Pachino's unit is the SIS, Special Investigative Service, or something like that.

It's real as well. Back in 1992 or so, they had a shootout in Newbury Park. NP is a small town, with little crime (it's part of Thousand Oaks which is always up there for least crime with over 100,000 residents.

Anyways, they had a stake out on this guy. Followed him. He went into a store and robbed it.

They waited until he got in the car, then shot him 26 times.