Thread: Question for seen or anyone who has a Super Gun

1. Question for seen or anyone who has a Super Gun

I recently got a new Super Nova and noticed that it doesn't exactly have a standard RGB output. It uses a special cable that has 8 pins which passes through the RGB signal. Unfortunatly the one I got only came with an 8-pin to S-video connector, does anybody know where I could an 8-pin to RGB cable? I'd rather not try to wire one myself.

2. Did you get it from Mas? If you did, then I would complain that I only got the S-video cable. If not you have several options. You can get the Neo Geo RGB cable which will solve your problem.
    You can compare your Super Nova 8-pin DIN connector pinout with the Neo Geo AV pinout and notice that the last four pins are the same. Compare them from here:
    Neo Geo Pinout
    Super Nova Pinout

What is the receiving end of your RGB? 9pin D-Sub? SCART type connector? BNC? 15pin D-Sub? The Neo one I think is a SCART RGB cable, which is fine in Japan, but meaningless here in US. RGB is such a novelty that I would try to do the cable myself. You can order an 8pin Din cable from here. Then you can modify it for your own connection.

Edit: You might need a multimeter to check which line is which before you solder it to the terminal but I don't think it is necessary since the wires are color coded and might come with a wire color/pin reference.

seen

3. I wanted to try a 15-pin DSUB connector. A few things confuse me about cable making. Like, do you need capacitors on the 15-pin DSUB end? and I need 75 Ohms and such, does that mean I need special wires? And as you said, each wire is color coded, but what difference does each wire make? is each wire in that strand rated differently (referring to the custom 8-pin at RP Electronics). I actually got this in an auction, I don't do anything with MAS Systems, I had once ordered a cabinet from them and they charged me for it and didn't give me any merchandise for 6 months, I finally got a refund from them.

Also, the 15-Pin DSUB has many more connections, the pinout for the Super Nova only has a single sync line, 15-PIN DSUB has a H and V sync, and grounds for each color, what would I have to do.

4. Originally posted by Phire
    I wanted to try a 15-pin DSUB connector. A few things confuse me about cable making. Like, do you need capacitors on the 15-pin DSUB end? and I need 75 Ohms and such, does that mean I need special wires?
    I don't think that you need capacitors, where did you hear that? You don't need special wires, the ones in the cable will do just fine. However, there is one caveat. If your monitor doesn't support negative composite sync that JAMMA(SuperNova) gives out and instead wants H Sync and V Sync on separate lines, then you have to provide a splitter circuit as shown here.

JAMMA specifies 'negative composite sync'. Basicallly composite sync is both Vsync and Hsync on the same wire like this:

Vsync _____ ____________________
    |_|
    Hsync ___________________________
    ||||||||||||||||||
    Csync _____ ____________________
    |_| ||||||||||||||||||

The 'negative' part means the pulses go to ground to show when the sync event occurs. Sometimes you'll want two separate signals instead of one composite. Here's the pic of the setup:

The || symbols are capacitors and the /\/\/\ is a 680Kilo-ohm resistor, the upside down triangle is the Ground, and Vcc is +5 Volts DC at 100mA. Then you just connect the H-Sync and V-Sync lines. Note: a minority of monitors might complain because H Sync generated by this chip is really composite sync and not pure H-Sync, but most monitors will accept this.

And as you said, each wire is color coded, but what difference does each wire make? is each wire in that strand rated differently (referring to the custom 8-pin at RP Electronics).
    Each wire is the same as the next but they are connected to different terminals on the other end, thats why they are color coded, so you know which wire belongs to which pin.
    I actually got this in an auction, I don't do anything with MAS Systems, I had once ordered a cabinet from them and they charged me for it and didn't give me any merchandise for 6 months, I finally got a refund from them.
    I'm sorry to hear that, but a cabined is not a Super Gun. You might have had better results with that. How much did you pay for the Super Nova?
    Also, the 15-Pin DSUB has many more connections, the pinout for the Super Nova only has a single sync line, 15-PIN DSUB has a H and V sync, and grounds for each color, what would I have to do.
    You're right in pointing that out. The RGB video ground from JAMMA or pin 2 on your DIN connector is split 3 ways to each of the channels to form Red Ground, Blue Ground, and Green Ground. The H V syncs I have already mentioned.

seen