Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone listen to Dance/Trance?

1. Anyone listen to Dance/Trance?

Just wondering, who here would say that the main style of music they listen to is dance/trance music. I refuse to use the word "electronic" or "electronica" since that is a word created by idiot american corporations to sell dance music in the US. The Chemical Bros., Underworld, Prodigy, Juno Ractor, etc...are all dance music...just different styles of it.

Anyway, my current faves have to be Tiesto, Paul Van Dyk, Oakenfold. I also pretty much love any style of vocal trance. I'm also curious to know where you are from. I live in the US, and dance music gets absolutely no respect here whatsoever. I never really understood why. I can't think of any other style of music that is so uplifting and energetic.

It gets no respect because it’s a fucking joke. I mean you started up good and all in the first paragraph, but it was all downhill from there.

And electronica is the proper name. Dance/techno is the word created by idiot Americans to sell music in the US. Techno is actually a sub genre of electronica.

3. Huh? Um...no. The word "electronica" did not even exist as a category of music until The Prodigy got popular in the US. Go anywhere else in the world and all the groups I mentioned above are just considered "Dance Music" Artists. Not Electronica Artists. The funny thing is that most americans don't even use that word, they just lump everything into the word "techno", which is even more ignorant.

Dance Music has tons of subgenres: Trance, House, Techno, Euro, Goa, Jungle, Acid, Progressive. But they are all DANCE music.

Now explain to me, why is dance music a joke??

4. I just discovered that Windows Media Player has a Trance/Dance station. TranceFM I think they calll it. Streams music from people I've never heard of.

5. Rumpy, you should try www.di.fm , fantastic site. Streaming all styles of dance music.

Please, then, show me how to dance to ambient. Or, even better, please tell me where ambient belongs on the big scale of things if it is not under the subheading electronica.

And trance is a joke because it's overly simplistic and requires little to no talent. Youl could make stupid loops with FruityLoops that sound indistinguishable from crap you would hear on CD's or streams if you tried hard enough.

7. Ambient is a subgenre of dance. Yeah, you can't dance to it like you would to a thumping club song, but it is still dance. Ambient or Chill-out music as it is also called, came about as a style of music that is played at the end of DJ sets to bring everyone down from the highs of the faster styles songs played early on.

As far as trance being to simplistic, please...lets see you produce anything close to Tiesto or Oakenfold. Sure, it may not be all deep and brooding, but why does it have to be? It's dance music, it's supposed to get you going. You need honest talent to make a good trance song. I've heard crap songs in trance as well as all the other style of dance. When a person has talent is shows, whatever style of music it is. Dance, rock or rap or whatever.

Ambient did not come from trance because ambient was around before trance was even a genre and probably before you were born.

9. Ok...I'm 30. Second, I never said it came from trance. Reread the post, I said it was a style that was introduced that could be played at the end of DJ sets. Whatever style of music it is. It is a slow style of dance music to bring people down from whatever high they are from. It is played at the end of the night or whatever. It's also great just to chill with. But Ambeint came from that style.

10. Quote Originally Posted by piku
    And trance is a joke because it's overly simplistic and requires little to no talent.
    Just like any musical genre, it's easy to do it poorly, but takes real talent to do it well. Just because there's so much bad trance out there doesn't mean the entire genre sucks.

It's pointless to try and categorize this stuff anyways. I mean, polka is dance music, for chrissake.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010