Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: JSRF 18 months later...

1. JSRF 18 months later...

Just so that REG's thread doesn't get filled with JSRF related posts. Just wondering if will be any backlash against it now that the initial excitement surrounding it is gone.

I liked lots of things about it but each time I replay it I like it less and less. Some of it is way too frustrating and boring. I've played all the way through JSR about 2 or 3 times but I doubt I will ever do the same for JSRF. I guess I just got caught up in the excitement of owning a new system and a new JSR game. I'll give it another go but if I find that i'm forcing myself to progress by chapter 5 then i'll sell it. Me being honest with myself really.

2. Ill just post what I posted there too...

Take it from someone who is one of the biggest Jet Set Radio fans out there (GOTY2000, no doubt): JSRF is a huge fucking pile of shit, a disgrace, an embarrassment that shouldn't have been made, shouldn't be compared to the original, and hell shouldn't even have the same words in the title. It's a damn shame what Smilebit did to the game, and it was enough for me to put them on "the list".

The original JSR is a beautiful, original, mind-bending work of brilliance. JSRF is a ill-conceived, stripped down, stringy, ugly bastard child of the first. The game is in no way worth owning a system for, nor will it ever be (but if you ask me the original is).

3. I've had quite a bit of fun with it during the...six or so months I've owned the game. Certainly enjoying it more than I thought I would based on numerous Best Buy kiosk plays of it back when it first came out.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

4. I agree. I liked it initially, but the more I play the less I like.

They threw out alot of things that people were "annoyed by" like... the time... and the enemies... and dying..., but they didn't really replace it with anything else to make the game flow and work any more, you couldn't play for score or rank any more, and it was really more like a platform game than JSR. It's basically a broken game.

lol. haha.

I love thinking back at all the posts made before it's release by people saying they were buying an Xbox just for that game.

You guys know who you are.

6. Quote Originally Posted by piku
    lol. haha.

I love thinking back at all the posts made before it's release by people saying they were buying an Xbox just for that game.

You guys know who you are.
    Yes that's really fucking funny

JSR was amazing, it's no surprise many of us were ecstatic that a sequel was being made especially given how poorly the original sold. If more people had bought it I doubt Smilebit would have changed so much for the sequel.

JSRF is like Majora's Mask for me. It's a game I plan on beating some day but every time I go to play it, all it does is make me want to play through its predecessor again.

Jet Grind is one of the greatest games ever made. It's a shame the sequel is so inferior.

Also, I really hate JSRF's soundtrack. JGR's is incredibly overrated but JSRF's is just plain bad.

8. I too, will repeat what I said in the other thread:

Aww you guys are killing me with the JSRF hate...

I'll agree the first is better, but c'mon JSRF is still a great, fun game. It's probably still my favorite title for the Xbox (and yea, I know that isn't saying a whole lot... but there are some gems on the sytem, like Orta, for example).

Without comparing it to the first game, where it will inevitably lose in all categories, save for graphics and sound (I prefer most, but not all, of the tracks in the second game), you have a very good title for your Xbox.

Damnit... I just put on my headphones and will now proceed to listen to both soundtracks. I can't be the only one who thinks JSRF has a higher volume of better tracks can I?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidez
    Yes that's really fucking funny
    PROTIP: Try out a game first before you spend a total of $350 to play it.

10. Good thread, indeed. I saw your post Durden, and I can see why you might not like the time based deal, but it was most of the basis for the game. without it it's like 'here's a map with everything you have to tag, get to it, there's no real challenge because dying is virtually impossilbe. I hope you have fun in this lifeless city'. The lack of enemies ruined a lot of the playabillity. it seemed when enemies WERE involved [like the sewer with poison jam] it felt like a mini game. The game just didn't flow. Some of the new character designs were great, but Frogacuda is right, they broke the game. At least if you're removing all the challenge of your game, replace it with SOMETHING. JSRF was a classic case of too much style and not enough substance. I still played through it, and yes I enjoyed it, so don't think it's all about the hate, it's just that... the first oozed of both style and playabillity. The second was sorely lacking in the later department. Any ideas on how to fix the game though [besides reinstating the shit that was taken out]. I'd say maybe a real trick system instead of the 'tap a at intervals like PSO' Bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by remnant
    I live in the fastlane bitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Thats how we roll, ride or die bitch.