Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No harm in asking

1. Thumbs Down No harm in asking

First of all I know that most of you here have lives and I doubt you'd be willing but I figured it'd be worth a trying. I had some potential in drawing once but sadly I never applied myself which is why you see me here begging

I need an artist it's that simple. I'm working on a few comic ideas and I figured it'd be a “neat'o” experience to publish one as a web comic. I'm not talking 8BT or B&G here, I'm talking Superman and X-men. I want to pump out a 21-30 page monthly (give or take) ish in Zip format for people to download and read at their leisure. Since I'm working on three story ideas, and don't know which I want to try first, I won't bother asking for any specific styles. Instead I'll post a brief synopsis of the plot line for the three stories and give you an idea of what styles I feel would best represent them. If you think your up to the challenge just post a sample here, then PM me with your Aim and which story you’re most interested in working with and I'll try to set up a time for us to discuss what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for Alex Ross quality, just be good enough and you'll be a contender. I'm not ruling out the possibility of two artists alternating bimonthly if you think that's too many pages. Note that color is not a necessity for any of these, though it would be nice and if you want that job, it’s yours. Also if you think there may be a community out there where I'd have better luck getting an artist please post a URL. Oh and one last thing, no, it doesn't pay, I repeat, it does not pay a bloody damn pizzlewig thing!

1. The Farm (tentatively titled) - Man is evolving, perhaps too a little too fast. This generation has made great leaps in evolution creating a species of human beyond anything this world could have imagined; they just don't know that yet. Mutants, or Mutts as they will soon called, live in shame afraid of what society would do if they found out. They view their abilities as more of a hindrance than a gift. In this we follow a group of teens as they cope with their new abilities, find a place to call home (this eventually becomes the farm,) attempt to live a relatively normal life and struggle with the decision of whether or not to take on the mantle of “heroes” in a society where they’re less than welcome. Soon after, the world is awakened to this secret society of super powered beings and the result is beyond their worst fears. Mutants as a whole are labeled as terrorists, are arrested and relocated to internment camps so they can be studied and contained until someone can figure out how to deal with them. At this point, after finally having found a place to belong, they’re ripped apart and become fugitives. Their paths diverge, their ideologies change and, over the course of a year or two, former friends find themselves on opposite sides, and that’s before the mutant-human war…

This story will have a fairly limited story arc, 7 years roughly (no I don’t expect to have you working seven years on this,) and I’m hoping to do this one last only because I want to perfect my craft a bit before taking on something this heavy. But if this one generates the most interest then this is the one you get. The artist chosen to work on this one should be capable of standard comic quality artwork, gritty while being soft and not too heavy on the detail, remember these are high school aged kids not Gold’s Gym instructors and no “costumes” just kids. As with most of my stories I hope to use a border-less format though it’s not a necessity. My art direction will be very specific at times.

2. Espers – This is loosely based on ESPrade. While going through puberty many of this world’s youth have developed telepathic and telekinetic abilities, these abilities fade as they reach maturity. For the good of society the UN, which is now a world government, has set a mandate requiring each nation-state to institutionalize and drug all youth showing signs of ESP. Rouges, known as Psyches, are constantly hunted and often seek refuge in gangs who battle over turf, which further complicates attempts by human rights groups to end the atrocious treatment of espers. A boy whose power is so great he can even manipulate matter to the point of creating a rose from thin air is seeking to absorb all the warring gangs and build a society of espers strong enough to take over the world and crazy enough to replace god as creators. Here we find four kids who meet while squatting in a condemned building; they form a bond that is only strengthened as they fight to protect humanity from this insane iconoclast.

The artist for this needs to be capable of anime styled art as well as being able to draw futuristic looking machinery, also since this would focus more on action and cool looking TK battles you’ll need to have a wealth of ideas for cool looking abilities. My art direction for this will be less direct and I’ll leave a lot of it up to you.

3. The yet unnamed comic relief comic – This is just a spoof of golden/silver age comics in all their cheesy glory. The main character, somewhere between Superman and Batman, is transported to an alternate universe to help lead the team his double in created just before he was killed. As a straight man, it’s a hard thing for him to adapt to suddenly being transported to a world that reads like a bad comic book, it’s made even harder by the “help” he receives from his comrades. Most of this will be just an excuse to plagiarize existing books, do bad Hostess Fruit Pies commercials for what little laughs they’re worth, and put the main hero in a lot of situations where all he can say is “What the Fuck?” Some characters will be blatant riffs on established comic book heroes, including one who goes by the name The Atlantian, whose ability to talk to fish is matched in uselessness only by his knack for getting damn near killed every issue. The humor in this will mostly appeal to aficionados of the comic world and, though it will use a bit of slapstick, the humor is mostly dry. Expect the possibility of fourth wall breaking.

What I want here is someone capable of almost everything, gritty looking muscle bound heroes, cartoon-y looking bad guys, and anime looking hero exchange students. Some of the villains include The Rotten Egg (actually shaped like an egg and rotten looking to boot) and The Violet Violent Violinist (c’mon, you know you want to sat that three times fast,) none of whom have the slightest bit of respect for The Atlantian. x2. Than again neither do any of his own teammates. x3. I will definitely consider using multiple artists where necessary (if only for select panels) if you can’t do certain styles. My art direction for this will be moderate.

Like I said there's no harm in asking.

2. Well, there might be no harm in asking but... almost a page a day, comic book quality work, working someone else's story, and no pay... What you're asking for is impossible for one person to do. I mean, there's a reason why comic books have artists, inkers, colorists, background artists, etc for one issue. I would take months to make otherwise.

You best bet is still doing it yourself. Anyone can draw well, it only takes practice. Lots and lots and lots of practice.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

3. Quote Originally Posted by ShineAqua
    it does not pay a bloody damn pizzlewig thing!
    I'm always interested in opportunities like these, but you're asking an awful lot for no pay at all.

Depending on the art style and quality, it takes typical professionals 1-2 days to complete each of the big 3 (penciling, inking, coloring) per page. You want someone to do all 3 in one, for nothing. That doesn't take into account writing/lettering/posting/formatting issues. Something like Penny-Arcade can be done relatively quickly, if the material's already written, because it's very simple compared to full-page comics.

However, you might want to check this place out. There is a talent classified section where you can post jobs, and artists/writers/whatever can search through them and contact you. Myself, I almost instantly skip over any job that says no pay (which is most of them).

Digitalwebbing

4. It took me nearly three months to do a 19 page web comic. Three friggin months. Granted, I animated some of the panels, but that's no excuse. It was really hard work for me and I gave my work for free to the (perverted) internet junkies. Now it's here and there (if you know where to look) and I'm not making a cent out of it. My only motive was to gain some experience and help a few web-friends (and of course, web-buddies tend to disappear now and then so...).

My point is :- Next time, I'm gonna charge you bastards big time! I'll make you guys gimme all yer cash, yer car, credit cards, games, consoles, anime collection, bed (sheets and pillows included), dog, cat, sisters, brothers, mom, dad and yer aunt (if she's hot)!!!

I could do it in an afternoon.

In Paint without erasing, I assume?

Is there really any other way?

I suppose not.

9. 88, who's mug is that in your av? It's freaking me out.

Same as the mug in my signature.

Johnny Cash.