Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electronic Music of the moment...

Electronic Music of the moment...

...that I am listening to. Lately, I've been on an old-school Prodigy kick for some reason but I've also been listening to quite a bit of CEX as well as the newest Boards of Canada record.

What have the electronic music people on this board have been listening too lately. I'm just curious.

Also, if you can, give one album or track that anyone whose never gotten into electronic music MUST here. (I'll go with the obvious and say an song of DJ shadow's album)

2. I recently got Kraftwerk's Man Machine of vinyl. This is the first real Kraftwerk album I've ever owned, the only other one was thier remix album, The Mix. If you had to fix one group at the epicenter of electronic music, it would be Kraftwerk. They weren't the first to use electronics, but they were the most influencial. I'd say any Kraftwerk song or album would be essential listening for someone who is new to electonic music.
    Before the Man Machine, I got Richie Hawtin's (aka Plastik Man)Closer to the Edit. Its minimalist music that is assembled from bits and peices of his and a few others music. This is my first minimalist album, and I really like it. I can put it on, and a whole hour will go by in a flash. It all seems to be mixed together too, it flows like water from track to the next, seemless.

3. I like electronic, but i just never been able to keep up to date. So i regularly discover new stuff wich isn't new at all. I just never ran across the work of many artist.

the band Coldcut for example. I picked up an old album of their and was I surprised. Very old school funky beat ("Atomic Moog 2000" or "More Beats + Pieces"), while some other tracks are pure techno ambience (Pan Opticon). I suggest you try them out if you're fond on 90's electronic.

Besides ColdCut, I always recommend Future Sound Of London: probably the band that got me into the UK sound and I got stuck in it. The album My kingdom is awesome from start to finish.

4. 1 word, 4 sylabols, 4 vowels.

Alphawezen.

Some of the best electronic music ever made, and almost no one has heard of them before. Its a blend of electronica, Drum'n'bass, and something else. Its really great music. buy their album now, you won't regret it.

its called "l'apres midi dun microphone" and on the artist label "mole listening pearls". seriously, you don't even have to listen to it to decide. buy it!

5. Old school Prodigy rocks. Their first two albums are great.
    I like electronic music, but haven't had much exposure to the great artists in electronica
    I mainly listen to Moby (new album out soon !!) and a bunch of the mp3.com bands (Lagoona, The Cynic Project, Torley Wong, PPK, etc.).
    - Kabuki

6. Rez OST

Hybrid, DJ Sasha and that's about it.

ºTracer
    o_O

7. Plaid is swell and Two Lone Swordsmen...they're swell also.

8. Still dissecting Run Level Zero's debut Symbol of Submission - great new Swedish heavy electro.

The new Informatik is trash. Too bad, as it was over three years in the making.

Just picked up E-Craft's debut Dos_Unit, and they show a heck of a lot of promise too.

Oh, I'm also totally digging Frequency right now, gameplay- and music-wise.

edit: As far as a recommendation is concerned, I strongly urge any fan of electronic music to check out a band called Gridlock. Their album Trace, which was released last year, contains the best use of electronics I've ever heard. Their previous albums Further and The Synthetic Form are also excellent, but Trace (so named because they wanted to keep only a trace of their original sound) is soaked with unreal beauty.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

Radiohead Guest
    Im currently into Radiohead,Aphex Twin,Dj Shadow and Kid Koala. All make great electronic albums.

10. Couldn't have just bumped blip bloop, as it's basically the exact same thing?

Anyway... Been playing these in heavy rotation:
    +One & Plaid - Bare Necessities
    1-Speed Bike - Droopy Butt Begone!
    Animals on Wheels - Designs and Mistakes (<-- downtempo)
    Bola - Soup
    Global Goon - Afterlife EP (<-- I recently found out about this EP. Goon's Vatican Nitez LP is one of my favorite albums ever)
    Luke Vibert - Homewerk EP (<-- Vibert's new EP.. nice stuff)
    Nautilis - Are You an Axolotl
    Nautilis - Sketches Vol. 1
    Prefuse 73 - The '92 vs. '02 EP (<-- Amazing. Check this out if you like Prefuse's sound)
    Strider - Reverse Engineering EP (<-- I see this a lot on industrial and hardcore sites. I guess it's listed in with those genres because the label is dtrashrecords. I'd say it's more breakbeat or d'n'b styled videogame music than the genres it's lumped together with. He has an mp3.com site under the same name with all five tracks from the EP and some others there.)
    Syndrone - Triskaideka

Lots of random EPs...
    I highly suggest the Nautilis stuff. I'd go so far as to say he's my favorite planet-µ artist. Aside from Mr. µ himself, Mike Paradinas, of course. His stuff ranges from glitch-hop, downtempo, ambient, etc. At least check out Polyphonix Tronix Scapegoat from Are You an Axolotl. He (I'm guessing it's him anyway.. dunno the MC) raps about videogames.
    if ya see a sucker, cut him, don’t like perpetrators
    http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/doktorMott.png