Page 6 of 208 FirstFirst ... 2456781020 ... LastLast

Thread: What Cell Phone Do You Carry?

1. I work for Verizon, so I get to try stuff out all the time, and switch phones about every month or so..

Currently Im using the new Moto V60P which is our first phone with nextel style "walkie talkie" feature..

On my personal line I use a LG VX-4400 which I think is one the best phones out there right now..

I was just recently using a Samsung I700 too, its a Pocket PC/phone combo unit with a camera that retails for $600.. Nicely done, but I really dont need it...

88mph is right when he says cell coverage has a lot to do with where you live, every company has its bad areas and good areas.. Allthough Verizon is known for having the best coverage on the east coast...

Oh, and Nextel sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by bahn
    Well, basically, the model I was referring to --- yours for example get their signals from certain towers which were designated for phones on the "Generation 2 brand", the new phones, namely the color models featuring PCS Visions are the G3's. It would appear that Sprint is slowly killing off the signals for the older models, leaving customers with no other option but to upgrade.

I used to have the same problem here getting dropped signals, but now, if anything - it may switch from analog (roaming) to digital.
    You talking about CDMA2000 Vs. CDMA 1XRTT.

There really isnt much difference to the consumer but the 1XRTT models support higher data transfer rates. Its backwards compatable with CDMA2000. The signals are the same, as a tower with 1XRTT will still support an older phone in its native mode, there isnt a difference in reception or call quality..

2. Quote Originally Posted by bahn
    Lhadatt, so that's the 500 eh? nice. what features does it have. seems similar to the functions mine has.
    Yup, it's a nice phone. You've got the N400, right?

The A500 has:
    • Mono, polyphonic and PCM (.wav-type via .qcp format) ringtones
    • Web access
    • Voice memos
    • Standard call history/phone book menus
    • Phone book groups (aka Family, Friends, Colleagues, etc.)
    • Individual ringtones for each group or phone book entry
    • SMS (Sprint calls them "notifications" -- there's also no way to send them directly from the phone without going on the web or download an application)
    • J2ME framework, which allows Java-based applications to be run - this is basically what the games and other stuff run on
    • Picture capability -- using the camera accessory, you can store pictures on the phone and on the web-based album
    • Animated screensavers
    • Planner/PDA functions: events, task list, calendar, alarms, memo pad, calculator, world time and countdown timer
    • Airplane mode: shuts off the phone network features while on an airplane, so you can still do PDA or application stuff (read: games) while flying

This might repeat some of what Korly posted a while back in the thread he linked, but here are my impressions of the gadget so far.

I got this about a week ago. Sprint put me on their free Vision trial, so I get web access for a couple of months. It's not anything special -- while the phone can download pages quickly, it appears to take time since the lag created by finding the server and negotiating a connection creates latency that slows things down. Sprint's website sucks (and I take offense to the idea of paying them for something I already pay them for), so I pretty quickly found a whole community of Sprint 3G users that have posted free content on the web.

Anyone with a 3G phone should check out http://www.sprintusers.com. There's a lot of information on that site about Sprint PCS in general, and Vision in particular. Vision users can even upload items to thier phone via their "Focus" utility -- it sends a SMS text message to your phone, which you can then extract a URL from and go on the web to download the content. There are links to numerous sites that offer content in the same fashion. Non-Sprint users should still be able to download content, as long as their phone is based on the J2ME platform.

Just as an example, so far I've gotten Pac-man, red alert klaxon (from Star Trek), Zelda and Trogdor (PCM, so it's the song with Strong Bad's lyrics, not just midi) ringtones. I found a Pac-man clone to download as well. There's a Street Fighter clone somewhere, but I've not found it yet. The phone actually came with Space Invaders, Monkey Ball and some lame racing game. Game playing is pretty cool on such a small device, but the control is a bit awkward -- it's a phone first, not a Gameboy. There is a gamepad for this phone, but I don't imagine that I'll buy it.

The A500 is last year's big thing. I picked it up because Best Buy had it on special. The $130 phone was brought down to $65 after rebate for a 1-year plan, could have been $30 after rebate for a 2-year plan; but this is my first phone and I don't care to get into something that might go downhill before the two years are up. If you want to get into something like this, checkout some of the phones Wildkat posted or look at the Samsung A600 (it seems to be the upgrade to the A500).

3. Chalk me up as another cell phone snob. I'm not sure when I'll get one, but I'm in no rush.

I had to take a quick break from DDR this morning to answer my cell:
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

5. Well, the folks at sprintusers.com are very helpful. I'm currently getting a firmware update for my lg5350, and they're saying that if I play my cards right, since my phone is now discontinued, I might be able to walk out with a Sanyo 8100 for free.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Wildkat
    I work for Verizon, so I get to try stuff out all the time, and switch phones about every month or so..

Currently Im using the new Moto V60P which is our first phone with nextel style "walkie talkie" feature..

How is the Push 2 Talk? I was thinking about getting it..but I would probably wait and let them work out the kinks. Not to mention, not many people have it now, so its not really worth it.

Other carriers will be offering the same as well. AT&T is beta testing their version. It should be out sometime 2004.

7. I've got T-Mobile, and the Sony Ericsson T300.
    It's a decent phone, though the headset port has started acting up, and it sometimes acts up when trying to connect a outgoing call. It's best feature would have to be it's battery. It's got talk time upto 6-7 hours.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Criticom
    I've got T-Mobile, and the Sony Ericsson T300.
    It's a decent phone, though the headset port has started acting up, and it sometimes acts up when trying to connect a outgoing call. It's best feature would have to be it's battery. It's got talk time upto 6-7 hours.
    O hell yea..the talk time is LONG. Its got built in AIM, animated wallpaper, I believe picture caller id as well. If it had speakerphone and a radio..it would be HOT!

My Nokia 7250i lasts for about 5 hours talk time. But when I'm on the phone with my girl..it seems as if its not enough talk time.

9. From what I've heard from people, SonyEricsson phones have ABYSSMAL sound quality.

Plus the UI just isn't as intuitive as most phones I've played with. The buttons are laid out nice, but their functions are questionable.

10. It's good enough... MUCH MUCH better then the free phone that I got for the first week with them. Back when I first signed up (Feb of this year), that phone kicked ass. The camera attachment is shit, but it was worth a try. It's got picture ID, polyphonic ringtones (which I dislike very much on this phone. as they are pretty crappy), and a whole bunch of other features that are pretty much pointless, but make you feel better then the person next to you.