Page 200 of 208 FirstFirst ... 186196198199200201202204 ... LastLast
Results 1,991 to 2,000 of 2078

Thread: What Cell Phone Do You Carry?

1. Well there ya go. I've got a local place I go to that'll knock it out for $50 in an hour for my Samsung shit, I'm sure something similar is almost anywhere. ps most of your phone parts are chinese/rando sourced in the first place
    Last edited by YellerDog; 20 Jun 2018 at 10:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. I just got an X as an upgrade a few days ago and so far its quite nice.
    Boo, Hiss.

3. iPhone X (and the 8/8Plus) are kind of a weird generation for iPhone because they're genuinely underspecced. Not just in the "this doesn't have as many cores/bullet points" way as usual, but actually seriously behind the competition in practical performance benchmarks, and only 3GB of RAM (2 on the 8), which is like... comparable $150 budget phones. I guess maybe that stuff doesn't matter as much anymore, especially as premium phone games all but disappear, but if that's their approach it really shouldn't be $1000. The hardware is way behind a OnePlus 6 that costs half that.

4. What Cell Phone Do You Carry?

I wouldn’t recommend anyone pay the $1000. I’m paying about half that. It was also buy one get one so we could replace my wife’s 5.
    Boo, Hiss.

5. Yeah, that's not a bad deal. I dropped my contract and switch to T-Mo prepaid a while back because it's ridiculously cheap, and I live in an area where everything gets coverage, but it means I have to pay cash prices for my phone. I hate everything though, so I'm sort of glad to not be locked into the limited selection of phones each of the carriers has.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    iPhone X (and the 8/8Plus) are kind of a weird generation for iPhone because they're genuinely underspecced. Not just in the "this doesn't have as many cores/bullet points" way as usual, but actually seriously behind the competition in practical performance benchmarks, and only 3GB of RAM (2 on the 8), which is like... comparable $150 budget phones. I guess maybe that stuff doesn't matter as much anymore, especially as premium phone games all but disappear, but if that's their approach it really shouldn't be $1000. The hardware is way behind a OnePlus 6 that costs half that.
    When did this happen? The specs I saw when they came out were all talking about how drastically higher they benchmarked than anything else on the market.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    When did this happen? The specs I saw when they came out were all talking about how drastically higher they benchmarked than anything else on the market.
    In fairness, they were probably pretty close when they were announced, at least in terms of 3D performance, but got quickly leapfrogged shortly thereafter by all the Snapdragon 845 phones. This is in sharp contrast to past gens where they just stayed miles in front.

The RAM issue is much more egregious. RAM prices are inflated right now and it just felt like cheaping out, except they jacked the prices up anyway. 2GB is not really acceptable in 2018, and you see those phones needing to reload apps a lot more often than they should when switching between tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    iPhone X (and the 8/8Plus) are kind of a weird generation for iPhone because they're genuinely underspecced. Not just in the "this doesn't have as many cores/bullet points" way as usual, but actually seriously behind the competition in practical performance benchmarks, and only 3GB of RAM (2 on the 8), which is like... comparable $150 budget phones. I guess maybe that stuff doesn't matter as much anymore, especially as premium phone games all but disappear, but if that's their approach it really shouldn't be $1000. The hardware is way behind a OnePlus 6 that costs half that.
    Yeah? Well none of that matters because the competition doesn't run iOS. Them's the breaks.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    In fairness, they were probably pretty close when they were announced, at least in terms of 3D performance, but got quickly leapfrogged shortly thereafter by all the Snapdragon 845 phones. This is in sharp contrast to past gens where they just stayed miles in front.

The RAM issue is much more egregious. RAM prices are inflated right now and it just felt like cheaping out, except they jacked the prices up anyway. 2GB is not really acceptable in 2018, and you see those phones needing to reload apps a lot more often than they should when switching between tasks.
    I can sympathize with your RAM grievance, I hate when I switch between two apps and the one has completely reloaded and lost my state.
    I've never really thought of phone specs as being all that important, otherwise. I don't really push them to do any technically intense stuff, really, and it's not like I'm gonna get a new one to play a game in a higher framerate. I only really upgraded from my iPhone 5S because the battery was failing hard, not just running down quickly.

Like Josh said, though, there aren't a lot of options to make the decision difficult if you're tied to iOS. I don't know what I'd do if I was picking through Androids. The Google Pixels seem pretty good, but anecdotally I've seen them have issues for friends, and the price point isn't any better than Apple.

Honestly, the killer app in Apple's favor is the AirPods bluetooth headphones. They sound great for as unobtrusive as they are, and they Just Work when you are using them.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

10. Those work on Android phones, though.