Page 202 of 208 FirstFirst ... 188198200201202203204206 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 2078

Thread: What Cell Phone Do You Carry?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    "Live Photos", but I'm afraid your shit is fucked up and retarded. It's a still shot that turns into a short video when you touch it.
    Yes. And they take up a lot more space than still photos. I'm sure there's a way to turn them off, but there wasn't an easy way to mass-convert them to non-live photos to clear up space on the phone. Annoying. I think we ended up having to just copy them all to her PC and do something on there and copy them back.
    But it sounds more like you're mashing the shutter button and taking a fuckton of pictures for no good reason. This isn't Marvel, baby. Just tap the button.
    No, I'm not talking about literal multiple files, just the fact that the phone was wasting space on multiple exposures for every picutre. I just didn't know the word "live photo" to describe the thing annoying me.
    Your complaints really come across as "I don't understand how to use this product" and I'm afraid that's on you. My parents also had some of these problems until I showed them how to use their phones. Perhaps you need to go to the Apple Store and take a class.
    I've never owned an iPhone, but my girlfriend and roommates all do and they're always asking me how to do shit like this, and it always seems to end with everyone throwing their hands up and going "I guess you can't" or the solution being needlessly difficult and arcane, often involving connecting the phone to another device.

But look, they're just very different OS paradigms. Android is computer-like, designed to give you a lot of functionality, including different ways to do the same thing, so you can set it up to work how you want. It's customizable and modular, and has a higher learning curve. iOS is simple and intuitive, but that simplicity often translates to fewer options and fewer shortcuts, and that can get really frustrating if you're used to having those things. I do not want my OS to baby me. I want all the things.

I got a OnePlus 6 today. This thing is pretty much exactly what I wanted in a phone. It's ridiculously fast, lots of memory, really good camera, nice industrial design, already has Android P (beta), runs a very lightly modified version of Android that feels like stock, and is totally unlocked. It's pretty much the best phone I've used.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 22 Jun 2018 at 11:58 AM.

2. I accidentally went to the first page of this thread instead of the last. It was actually quite interesting to read about people's phones from 2003.

Ah, memories of the Samsung SCH-3500. That phone was legit as fuck. Modern phones still can't voice dial as well as that thing did.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I got a OnePlus 6 today. This thing is pretty much exactly what I wanted in a phone. It's ridiculously fast, lots of memory, really good camera, nice industrial design, already has Android P (beta), runs a very lightly modified version of Android that feels like stock, and is totally unlocked. It's pretty much the best phone I've used.
    Got mine a couple days ago and it reminded me of when I first installed an OS on an SSD. Everything about the device is premium, and it's actually shocking to me that anyone in this day and age would pay $1k+ for an iPhone X or Note 9.

Re: iOS, I really like using it on iPads, and really loathe it on phones. Part of that is Android is just so bad in tablet form. The other part is that I just don't like iPhone features: Carplay sucks compared with Android Auto, the janky third party keyboard support, the price, the lack of Google Assistant integration in the OS, etc. My girlfriend has an iPhone as well, and I get the appeal, but it's definitely not the phone OS for me.

5. I feel the exact opposite. My iPhone 6 conked out a couple weeks ago and a friend lent me her Nexus 5x to try. I've been using it for about 2 weeks and it's clear to me the OS still isn't as good as iOS.

I find Google assistant creepy as fuck -- asking me for reviews of places I've been recently. The back button is so variable in what it does and I often but the bottom close or back button while typing. The primary action seems to change from bottom right to in-keyboard to top right. The gestures feel much more stiff than the iPhone -- probably due to core architecture and iOS using a straight up physics engine for this. This phone and it's data connection stuff is just very off putting.

The one thing I do like is the swipe keyboard. I will also say the OS has made great improvements since I tried it 4 years ago.

6. I never had those issues with Nexus 6P. I have all of the Google assistant stuff disabled, though.
    The biggest complaint I have is that a lot of obnoxious things are enabled by default. I had to uninstall the updates for "Google App" and block it from automatically updating just so I could get rid of the useless 'feed' screen that shows up to the left of the home screen.
    Google sure does love forcing their experiments on users.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I feel the exact opposite. My iPhone 6 conked out a couple weeks ago and a friend lent me her Nexus 5x to try. I've been using it for about 2 weeks and it's clear to me the OS still isn't as good as iOS.

I find Google assistant creepy as fuck -- asking me for reviews of places I've been recently. The back button is so variable in what it does and I often but the bottom close or back button while typing. The primary action seems to change from bottom right to in-keyboard to top right. The gestures feel much more stiff than the iPhone -- probably due to core architecture and iOS using a straight up physics engine for this. This phone and it's data connection stuff is just very off putting.

The one thing I do like is the swipe keyboard. I will also say the OS has made great improvements since I tried it 4 years ago.
    Google Assistant is pretty customizable and you can turn off that location based stuff if you want. The new version also has an alternate navigation that doesn't have the nav buttons at the bottom.

And that's the rub: Android's not designed like a demo kiosk. It's more powerful and customizable at the expense of the learning curve. But since you spend a day or two learning an OS and the rest of your time actually using it, many people consider this a good trade.

8. I'm judging it solely based on the default experience because that's the one they're endorsing. I'm sure Apple has swipe keyboard too but since it's not on by default I don't give them credit.

I'm finding the form of the Nexus pretty hokey too. Two hunks of plastic glued together. Anyway it's not that bad at all -- but I think Apple still takes the cake here for me.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I'm judging it solely based on the default experience because that's the one they're endorsing. I'm sure Apple has swipe keyboard too but since it's not on by default I don't give them credit.
    But also the initial experience, and that's my point. iOS is designed to be immediately comprehensible, and there's an advantage to that, but those advantages are short-lived. I have an iPad and an Android phone so I use both and understand them both, but I find it much easier to get stuff done on Android.

I'm finding the form of the Nexus pretty hokey too. Two hunks of plastic glued together.
    That phone is about to be four generations old now. Although I don't love the Pixels either. It's one of the reasons I moved on to the OP6. OP6's industrial design is fantastic and it has this matte glass back that feels really nice.

In general, Apple's industrial design is quite good. It had gotten a little stale lately, but they seem to be moving forward again. But they don't have a monopoly on that, there are some nice Android phones as well.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 25 Aug 2018 at 12:00 PM.

10. Cell tech has kinda stagnated. All I want is better camera tech these days. All the big announcements for phones lately are some weak stuff. I don’t give two shits about VR, augmented reality, animoji. It’s all fucking garbage.
    Durability, camera, and battery life. They all function well enough these days.