Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: Half-Life 2

1. Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox
    *rolls eyes at the objectivity of this thread*
    Yeah, I mean you've a sequel to one of the most beloved PC games of all time, and what little has been shown of it looks fucking amazing. HOW CAN YOU FOOLS BE EXCITED ABOUT THIS?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Saint of Killers
    Yeah, I mean you've a sequel to one of the most beloved PC games of all time, and what little has been shown of it looks fucking amazing. HOW CAN YOU FOOLS BE EXCITED ABOUT THIS?
    I didn't criticize the level of enthusiasm, just its objectivity. -and, while it may not apply here, just because something is popular does not mean it is good.

If anything, I become more critical of the games/movies I anticipate the most, because I really want them to be all I'm hoping for.

3. Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox
    I played through Half-Life a while after it came out on PC, and that it was a fun single-player experience. After hearing all the raving about online play, I cracked it out again to check that out, but was thoroughly unimpressed. It was choppy (on 56k...cable wasn't very well spread by then), the levels seemed boring, and ultimately nowhere near as fun as Tribes, which was revolutionary and liquid smooth on my modem.
    .... I don't remember a single person raving about Half-Life's online play. More reviews said the game had a fantastic single player game, and ho-hum/solid multiplayer. Only good thing about HL:DM was the map Crossfire.

But I'll rave day-in day-out about Counter-Strike.

4. To tell the truth the only reason I even cared for the original HL was the Opposing Force expansion and the mods Firearms and Day of Defeat (a few others were decent but never played them much).
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

5. Quote Originally Posted by FirstBlood
    .... I don't remember a single person raving about Half-Life's online play. More reviews said the game had a fantastic single player game, and ho-hum/solid multiplayer. Only good thing about HLM was the map Crossfire.

But I'll rave day-in day-out about Counter-Strike.
    Well, that's sort-of what I meant. All the popular mutliplayer gaming associated with Half-Life. I think I was getting TFC confused with Counter-Strike there. I haven't played Counter-Strike, so maybe it's so awesome that I'd change my whole opinion...but if that's the case, shouldn't people be excited for Counter-Strike 2, and not HL2?

6. Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox
    I didn't criticize the level of enthusiasm, just its objectivity.
    What exactly are you criticizing here? "Hey you assholes, stop anticipating a sequel to your favorite FPS. It's just not objective."
    -and, while it may not apply here, just because something is popular does not mean it is good.
    If you want to be OBJECTIVE, "good" is subjective. It turns out that most people who played Half-Life think it's very, very good. You not particularly caring for it means very little to these people.
    If anything, I become more critical of the games/movies I anticipate the most, because I really want them to be all I'm hoping for.
    Good for you. Since you don't seem to be expecting much out of HL2, this shouldn't be a problem.

I also haven't noticed you jumping into any of the countless other threads about games that haven't come out yet telling the posters who are looking forward to them to pipe down.

Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox
    but if that's the case, shouldn't people be excited for Counter-Strike 2, and not HL2?
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstBlood
    More reviews said the game had a fantastic single player game

7. Quote Originally Posted by Saint of Killers
    I also haven't noticed you jumping into any of the countless other threads about games that haven't come out yet telling the posters who are looking forward to them to pipe down.
    Because I haven't seen any other threads where people plan on nailing copies of the games to crosses or giving up all other gaming entirely in the face of the release of HALF LIFE 2.

In most other threads where people discuss the relative merits of upcoming releases, they describe what they like about it, what they're hoping for, and evidence of the final product they're discerning from the media released.

Additionally, the huge craze for Half-Life, which gives it legendary status is really more for the mods and Counter-Strike than HL's well-conceived single-player game (which I doubt many people play through more than once). So, everyone should be on the CS2 bandwagon, if such a thing exists, and not so blindingly enthusiastic for HL2.

Besides, who can stand threads where all the posters do is gush over something. At least we could discuss the potential pitfalls the game could encounter, which is Gohron's whole point originally anyway.

8. You obviously weren't around right before JSRF came out.

Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox
    Additionally, the huge craze for Half-Life, which gives it legendary status is really more for the mods and Counter-Strike than HL's well-conceived single-player game (which I doubt many people play through more than once). So, everyone should be on the CS2 bandwagon, if such a thing exists, and not so blindingly enthusiastic for HL2.
    Alot of people consider it the greatest single player FPS ever. Most of the reason all those mods exist for HL is because the game was amazing.

9. True the single player was really good but it also had it's down-points. Around half of the game was on Xen and that was one of the most frustrating game experiances I've ever had. The engine always annoyed me too, I think the game could've been much better had the Unreal engine been used rather then the Quake II engine (which was never that great to begin with). Basically HL was a decent game with some kick-ass mods but I think a little bit too much community effort was invested. A lot of mods could've benefitted being made on new engines rather then HL which is still having mods made for it. Essentially the point I'm trying to get across is that I believe a lot of the HL hype was caused by the media rather then the game itself. This happens a lot and people don't acknowledge it.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

10. Yes, I'm in the "Half-Life 2 will be the biggest game in years" group.

Around half of the game was on Xen
    Not even close to half the game took place on Xen. And while it wasn't the final chapter I would've hoped for, it was still more fun then most other singleplayer FPSes.