Thread: Recent waste of time.

1. Recent waste of time.

I was messing with brushes in Photoshop. I think it's kinda like a shitty Thomas Kinkade thing which is like being crapier than crap. I was bored though.
    o_O

2. Quote Originally Posted by Tracer
    I was messing with brushes in Photoshop. I think it's kinda like a shitty Thomas Kinkade thing which is like being crapier than crap. I was bored though.
    It doesn't look bad at all. In fact, I'm really interested in what brushes/tools you used to make such a painted look in PS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

3. Bunch of default stuff in PS7. The water is, solid color + a "waterish" texture I made for it and "ocean ripple" filter. The dirt was cheap and it looks the part. Soild color, two layers, both are filled with a default texture base and the top layer is -20% transparancy and a "satin" finish over it (all in the cheapass Blending Option) I then Iapplied an inner shadow to the lower layer. I wanted to do more, but I didn't have any better ideas to do better ground other than sampleing it... which would go against what I was trying to do. The Grass, is a simple brush. Most have seen it. The frothy wave stuff is just another brush at varying sizes and preasures. If solid, it gives a convinceing rough 'plaster' style appearance. I though it worked well but only on the banks... further out waves eluded me. In the water is quite a few mistakes that I didn't get rid of since they at least gave it a less uniform look. The sky is 3 solid colors over on greyish blue color. The 3 colors (differnt hues of blue and purple) are at varying transparancys and are distorted and then run through a "fresco" filter. I touched it up more with clone, smudge and the default airbrush. I finished it with a Lighting effect (spotlight, I don't remember the exposure, luminosity or matte of it all... just playing with it untill I saw something I liked best, ambience is low though). I'm interested in doing something actually creative with PS, handmade and all, but this relys on primitave shapes cut with a polygonal selection tool (like the ground and the 3 colors used in the sky). Had I put more than a few hours into it, I would have added more variety to the picture, perhaps trying my hand at a light house and makeing the grass look less photoshopy. At the very least, I would have used smaller brushes the further back I went to give a better sence of perspective. That would have taken a little bit longer and being that it was the last thing I did... I was uninterested in doing more. Maybe I'll try another, somewhat more elaborate one. One day, maybe, I'll figure something that is actually in sync with my usual style instead of landscapes.
    o_O

4. It looks good, but try to paint over you what you have textured down. Overal good job and good to see someone reppin Htown too.

5. Interesting technique. Too much work for me, tho . It's really nice. Although, the perspective is a bit confusing for me what with the grass and waves looking the same size near and far. But that's just minor stuff. Great work.

6. Quote Originally Posted by mrdandy
    Interesting technique. Too much work for me, tho . It's really nice. Although, the perspective is a bit confusing for me what with the grass and waves looking the same size near and far. But that's just minor stuff. Great work.

Yeah, I learned quite a bit doing it actually. I know now instead of trying to paint the perspective in (which would be very time consumeing in PS) I could just paint it flat and the skew it to perspective... I'm not sure how the quality would hold up, but it would save me the time of chooseing and switching brushes. I've also figured out how to do atmosphereic effects in roughly the same way just with multiple layers (rows of blue bars proceeding upwards and incrementally adjusting thier transperancy). It's really quite a neat effect for larger pictures. Takes time and perchance there's an easier way (perhaps a somewhat transparent layer, gradient fill from blue (top) to transparent (bottom)).

The grass still looks cheap though.. I haven't figured that one out yet.
    o_O

7. Nice, If you consider that shitty, you should post some of your other landscapes.

P.S. did you get my PM?

JM

8. I did get it.

I'll post the things I finish... I typically don't get through them because I set my sights too high and when things aren't coming together as I would like, I can it and start something else =/
    o_O

9. The grass still looks cheap though.. I haven't figured that one out yet.
    Perhaps its the colors, or the angle you used, but the grass looks like its floating over the beach. Maybe if you get the perspective right and detail the area around where the grass is(or the ground in general) so that it looks planted it would work.