Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How I would improve the next Mario game...

1. Gilato Beach was one of my least favorite levels in the game, but I really enjoyed Sunshine. If we're going to keep getting levels like Noki Bay I can deal with a Gilato Beach here and there.

2. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater
    In an interview, Miyamoto said that Yoshi's Island was more someone else's creation(Tezuka probably, I don't remember) than his. I would love to see another Yoshi game like Island.
    yeah, he was co-director. Konno (guy who directs the Mario Kart games) was the other director on the game.

i just don't know what went wrong with Yoshi Story though, because between the 2 of them, Tezuka and Konno are responsible for some of Nintendo's best games ever.

just look at the work at the games they've worked on...

Tezuka
    Producer:
    Animal Crossing, Wind Waker, Sunshine, and Double Dash!!

Director:
    Super Mario Bros 2. Lost Levels, Super Mario Brothers 3, Super Mario World, Link To The Past, Links Awakening.

Co-Director:
    Yoshi's Island, Super Mario 64.

Konno
    Director:
    Sim City, Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, Luigi's Mansion, Double Dash!!

Co-Director:
    Yoshi's Island.

i seriously don't get how Yoshi Story turned out the way it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh_H
    "he doesn't really make games anymore."

That's precisely why he's getting stale! And don't get me wrong, I liked Pikmin and loved OoT.
    no, that just means he's not making games anymore. he can't possibly be getting stale if whenever he does make a game, it turns out to be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinopio
    If the next Mario game were like Wario World, there would be less people complaining about the camera and about how the 3D Mario games don't play like the 2D ones.
    the camera in Sunshine was just fine, i only had trouble with it once, and that was in the theme park level, when you had to do all that fence climbing. if you knew how to work it (and it had great control), then the camera was awesome.

i think Tim Rogers said it best in his Sunshine review...
    "The camera does suck as much as you suck. It also rocks as much as you rock."

the camera should really just be considered another character in the game that you have to be constantly controlling. once you have it down though, it's an awesome camera.

3. I like the camera in sunshine. it gives you a great amount of control. but i think you and i don't share the majorities opionion on this matter.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Kinopio
    I like the camera in sunshine. it gives you a great amount of control. but i think you and i don't share the majorities opionion on this matter.
    that's not true. i also think that Mario games were better when they were 2D and pure platforming, but that simply isn't gonna happen again.

if they were go with the linear track style design, the game would work much better with Klonoa style design than the kind in Wario World.

5. Xbox 360 I

If there's one thing they nailed in Sunshine, it was those mini waterpackless levels.

Nintendo really needs to make a side game, consisting soley of 40 to 200 of these levels. They were very straight foward classic Mario guantlet runs and were easily the best part of the game(Aside from the one where the gimps had to throw you, but whatever).

I hated those levels with a passion. In theory, they were pure old-school platform gameplay but the judging of distances combined with tons of opportunity to fall into the abyss made them unfun.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Barton
    that's not true. i also think that Mario games were better when they were 2D and pure platforming, but that simply isn't gonna happen again.

if they were go with the linear track style design, the game would work much better with Klonoa style design than the kind in Wario World.
    But if it was like Klonoa you wouldm't best taking advantage of the best part of the 3D mario games: the control and how you use it to interact with the level design. Wario World had those mini-levels that were like the fluddless levels in sunshine, which were the most popular portion of the game. Combine that with the more 2dish parts of wario world, and you've got some nice variety. Variety was what killed Sunshine. The levels were too few and too similar and they used the same squid boss 3 fucking times.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Kinopio
    I like the camera in sunshine. it gives you a great amount of control. but i think you and i don't share the majorities opionion on this matter.
    as i've said before, mario sunshine's camera would be soooo much better if it could go through walls. ..or make them transparent. or something.

9. Nintendo needs to study Rayman 2. A 3D platformer doesn't need to be a treasure hunt and can have more than 5 levels.

10. Agreed that the waterpacklesslevels rocked but they needed more I-want-to-kill-you-and-stop-you enemies.

Also agreed that Nokia Bay was amazing and the camera was fine.

OK, let's illustrate my point this way. Imagine you're wandering around Gilato beach. All of a sudden you run into a pyramid that has enemies on every other step. You can either scale the pyramid and kill all the enemies in a certain way without falling off (to make it even tougher) and get an extra shine, or you can simply go around the pyramid and complete a different objective.