Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How I would improve the next Mario game...

1. PC How I would improve the next Mario game...

I used to defend Miyamoto a lot. Still appreciate the mook but let's face it, the man does not like 2D gaming anymore and he's getting stale. Whenever asked about it, he gives a totally non-comittal, nuetral answer. I remember he once responded that he thought Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin were the same as 2D when asked if he had any plans to make a 2D game for GC. The point is, obviously games like Mario Sunshine (which I still enjoy a lot, but it has even less enemies than Mario 64) would benefit from 2D elements big time.

Something I've been thinking about a lot lately is how would I make the next Mario title more action packed/2D geared in some way while still retaining free roaming action? Let's take Gilato Beach in MS for instance. I would improve that level by adding 3-4 tough SMW'ish platform/hill/block sections dotted *within open areas* of the level (there are many levels that just have open, empty areas which could improved simply by adding a few tough enemies that try to kill you) that you have to climb/jump while avoiding and stomping lots of enemies in order to get an extra shine. The camera would zoom out at the side a bit (optional) to retain a more 2D view. This way the game would retain free-roaming, still have platform heavy sections *within* the levels and not come off feeling like Crash, Klonoa and all the other on rails games.

Anyways, I think Miyamoto could easily make free roaming games that at the same time emulate the Mario legends of old but he's too shortsighted.

Just a brain fart while helping really annoying and incompetent people fix their internet and DSL at work.

I could have made this post better but I'm pressed for time and needed to type *something* other than my call log notes. *I can hear Frog coming already*

2. Maybe Yoshi's Story made him stay away from 2D forever.

I would improve it by not having a gay backpack.

4. The next Mario game should be more like Wario World.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Kosh_H
    I used to defend Miyamoto a lot. Still appreciate the mook but let's face it, the man does not like 2D gaming anymore and he's getting stale.
    getting stale? hardly.

Pikmin was a fantastic game, and well, so was Ocarina of Time. those are the last 2 games that he's had any serious involvment in. i don't see how those 2 games show that he's getting stale at all.

as for Super Mario Sunshine, that was all Koizumi. all Miyamoto did with Sunshine (and Wind Waker for that matter) is test the controls here and there, and give his input every once in a while.

some of you guys really need to stop thinking that he does much aside from just sorta manage all the teams. he doesn't really make games anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Undaunted
    Maybe Yoshi's Story made him stay away from 2D forever.
    he had nothing at all to do with that game. during that time, he was busy with Mario Kart, Star Fox, F-Zero X, and Ocarina of Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinopio
    The next Mario game should be more like Wario World.
    no fuckin way.

the next Mario game just needs to take place in the Mushroom Kingdom, and all will be well.

unless they go apeshit and take it into a new direction like they did with Yoshi's Island. which is what they're supposedly doing with Mario 128.

Miyamoto was "Supervisor" for Yoshi's Story. He wasn't heavily involved but he's still on the credits.

In an interview, Miyamoto said that Yoshi's Island was more someone else's creation(Tezuka probably, I don't remember) than his. I would love to see another Yoshi game like Island.

7. Kosh H, let's just say I'm glad you're playing Nintendo games instead of making them.

8. "he doesn't really make games anymore."

That's precisely why he's getting stale! And don't get me wrong, I liked Pikmin and loved OoT.

I will give him huge props though in how he helped make Metroid Prime an excellent game with the all the input/strict supervision he gave to Retro.

9. If the next Mario game were like Wario World, there would be less people complaining about the camera and about how the 3D Mario games don't play like the 2D ones.

I don't think sprawling environments are a good thing for a Mario game. Sunshine was at its best when it was more focused on a certain track towards a goal. save the exploration for Metroid.

10. Tyler:

So you think a level like Gilato beach is fine with all the empty spaces it has in between which could use a few more enemies or platforms to challenge the player?