Page 16 of 243 FirstFirst ... 21214151617182030 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading?

1. Just finished Fatherland, a spiffy detective story set in the 60's, but where Nazi Germany dominates half the planet. Currently going through Kavalier & Clay, which was only five bucks in Barnes & Noble's discount section.

2. Read through Choke last weekend. It was pretty good, but seemed like a poor man's Bret Easton Ellis book.

Started reading Rick Moody's The Black Veil last night. It isn't too interesting so far, but I imagine it'll pick up once it gets out of his childhood and into his drug-filled days which lead up to his visit to the nuthouse. I figure that will curb my drug intake for a little while, which is probably something I need right now.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Kinopio
    Started reading Rick Moody's The Black Veil last night. It isn't too interesting so far, but I imagine it'll pick up once it gets out of his childhood and into his drug-filled days which lead up to his visit to the nuthouse. I figure that will curb my drug intake for a little while, which is probably something I need right now.
    Have you read any of his novels? I really liked the movie Ice Storm so I was thinking about reading that, or something else of his.

Anyway, I've been reading You Shall Know Our Velocity!, but it's not as good as I hoped. I'll probably read Kavalier & Clay next, I've enjoyed Chabon's other stuff.

4. "THE WARLOCK'S LAST RIDE" fucking stasheff. finally wrapping it all up. like I knew he would. and he's making it work@ damn him

stasheff = favorite author
    [Insert large, loud, flashing signature here]

5. You quoted the New Radicals in your sig?

LOL

6. I've been trying to read The Name of the Rose by Eco, and am having a tough go of it. Other than that, nothing new really. I did try one of the Lemony Snicket books, but felt like he was talking down to me the entire time.
    "Tick-tock"

7. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo
    Anything in it with that crazy guy that sodomizes people with a gun. He was completely cut out of the original print of the Stand.
    I haven't read it in about 15 years, but I remember there being a long conversation in a garden near the beginning, or someone was cutting flowers or something... it was cut out of the edited part... Only added more depth of character to the woman (i forget her name). I think it was with her mom or something.

Anyway, The Stand is just as long as it needed to be imo. It's an epic. It starts off so small with the car crash at the gas station and gets so incredibly large by the end. Whereas, (yeah, yeah Mzo, I know,... I know) 'It' could have been shorter. I actually never minded the length of 'It' until I got to the sucky ending and felt like the previous thousand pages cheated me a LOT. But The Stand is King's best. And thinking about it, there's something stylistically about it comparable to the Gunslinger series. I need to reread everything...

And if you guys never read any Clive Barker, I recommend all the short story collection in the Books of Blood, and the novels Weaveworld and The Damnation Game.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
    You quoted the New Radicals in your sig?

LOL
    and you, precious, recognized it. radio single ignored, that was an amazing cd. admit it
    [Insert large, loud, flashing signature here]

9. finished reading the DaVinci Code, now reading Angels & Demons
    MK2 on XBLA plz - let the unfolding of gameplay begin!!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
    Have you read any of his novels? I really liked the movie Ice Storm so I was thinking about reading that, or something else of his.
    I've read Purple America and Garden State. I preferred Purple America. I love the film The Ice Storm very much, but have yet to read the book. How did Ang Lee go from The Ice Storm and Crouching Tiger to The Hulk?