Page 17 of 243 FirstFirst ... 31315161718192131 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Scourge
    I haven't read it in about 15 years, but I remember there being a long conversation in a garden near the beginning, or someone was cutting flowers or something... it was cut out of the edited part... Only added more depth of character to the woman (i forget her name). I think it was with her mom or something.
    That part dragged a bit. I skipped around there. I'm all for background exposition but seeing how Stu is a much more important character it would have been better served to put that time for him.

The only problem I have with it is that the 4 going to CO seems a bit thin.

Trashcan man was going back regardless, and while it can't be certain he would have gotten Flagg, all the pilots were down and that would have taken everyone out in LV.

That, and the whole Robinson Flagg thing were the only weak parts.

2. Recently finished:

All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing, and Cities on the Plain by Cormac McCarthy.
    Bridge Of Birds by Barry Hughart
    All Tomorrow's Parties by William Gibson

Currently reading The Illiad.

JM

3. Quote Originally Posted by Scourge
    And if you guys never read any Clive Barker, I recommend all the short story collection in the Books of Blood, and the novels Weaveworld and The Damnation Game.
    Books of Blood is indeed a good collection to read.

4. After I finish IT, and when it arrived, I will be reading The Taking by Dean R Koonz. From what I read, after dissapointing works in later years, its a return to "good" horror writing, on the level of Midnight and Phantoms.

5. I'm reading Angels & Demons to see what all the fuss is about.

6. my reading of Mein Kampf will begin next week

7. I'm reading Dangerous De-Liasons by Jean Marie Colombani and Walter Wells. The book tries to deconstruct the growing discord between France and the U.S. They take a French (Colombani) and American (Wells) journalist, stuff 'em in a room, and let them try and sort out the historical and present day events leading to the current discontent.

Every American should read this. France and America have a lot more in common than you'd think.

8. I read Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, a book that Sqoon sent me, and it was very good. Unusually subtle but very good. I liked it a lot.

Okay, so I finished reading Memoirs of a Geisha last night. It's definitely my new favorite book, supplanting 1984.

This is the first time I am making a serious effort to read more in nearly ten years. I have a shitload of books to go through now. But if I can read through 5-10 I will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by MarsVolta
    my reading of Mein Kampf will begin next week
    Why would you read that trash? We already know what a monster Hitler was.

Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Why would you read that trash? We already know what a monster Hitler was.
    I think it'd be interesting to see the world through his eyes, or maybe some insight as to how somebody can become so powerful and corrupted.

I'd read it.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

10. The book was written while he was in jail. He wasn't powerful.

And all the book is him rambling about Jews and his shitty politicial theories. He was already corrupted by then.