Page 191 of 243 FirstFirst ... 177187189190191192193195205 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,910 of 2425

Thread: What Are You Reading?

1. I didn't like lost but I picked this up anyway. We'll just see..

2. Read The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. Quite good. Talk about your flawed characters, though. Geez. Pretty much every major player could be a detestable villain in a parallel story.

Ferro is my favorite. She's super spicy.

3. Thief of Thieves started out pretty damn good. Fatale is good too.

4. I just finished Out of Oz, the last book in the Wicked series, and it was pretty good. I've got A Storm of Swords, but I think I'm going to read Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter first. I'm loving the Song of Ice and Fire series, but I think I want to jump into something a little quicker/lighter to read before digging into the 3rd book.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Read The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. Quite good.
    The First Law series just did not mesh with me for some reason. I'd like to know what you think after you finish the next two.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    I've got A Storm of Swords...
    It's the best book by far. Have fun reading through that one.
    Last edited by sedition; 13 Feb 2012 at 12:39 PM.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

That third book was so good, but the fourth book is such a slog. Ugh.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

7. Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    The First Law series just did not mesh with me for some reason. I'd like to know what you think after you finish the next two.
    Did you read all three? No love for Ferro? Bayaz? Logen? Glockta? As I try to single out something I liked, I'm realizing it was the whole package. From the writing style -- very down to earth, easy reading, to the situations -- out-of-his-element Logen eating the flower at the banquet, then placing it down quietly when it was gross, to the fascinating, multi-faceted characters -- ridiculously ferocious Ferro, crippled, resigned Glockta, spoiled bratling Jezal, Ardee, West, Varuz. They're all memorable if not likable in their own way. It all clicked!

I cycle through series, so it will be a while before I finish The First Law. Reading the third Malazan book now (which I think you are a fan of). Good, but polar opposite in terms of fantasy. Very dense reading. Short on dialogue. Enormous cast, not nearly as relatable. Tons of sub-plots. Utterly alien worlds, species, and cultures. It's a nice change of pace, but I need both styles.

8. yeah I read all three... just a little too much felt borrowed from other stuff. It just wasn't a series for me. It's always cool when you find something that clicks with you, so stick with it and let me know what you think when you finish it. I don't really want to talk about specifics because I can't remember which events happened in what book.

Memories of Ice is probably my least favorite book in The Malazan Book of the Fallen main series; though a lot of cool stuff and cool characters are in it. What did you think of Deadhouse Gates?

I'm thinking that if you like going in the opposite direction of where Malazan takes you when reading fantasy, you should try out The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. It would probably be my go to if someone was asking for a fantasy recommendation and I didn't know them. There are two books out so far; The Name of the Wind is the first book. It's pretty much just the story of one guy. It is really well done. It takes awhile to get going, but once it does it doesn't stop.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

9. Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    Memories of Ice is probably my least favorite book in The Malazan Book of the Fallen main series; though a lot of cool stuff and cool characters are in it. What did you think of Deadhouse Gates?

I'm thinking that if you like going in the opposite direction of where Malazan takes you when reading fantasy, you should try out The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. It would probably be my go to if someone was asking for a fantasy recommendation and I didn't know them. There are two books out so far; The Name of the Wind is the first book. It's pretty much just the story of one guy. It is really well done. It takes awhile to get going, but once it does it doesn't stop.
    Interesting that you MoI is your least favorite. Most people like that the best. I was very confused when I read DHG, it would probably make more sense now.

10. Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    yeah I read all three... just a little too much felt borrowed from other stuff. It just wasn't a series for me. It's always cool when you find something that clicks with you, so stick with it and let me know what you think when you finish it. I don't really want to talk about specifics because I can't remember which events happened in what book.

I will!

I liked Deadhouse Gates, but didn't love it. 3 stars. Think I liked the first a tad better. Apt was rad. Definitely scenes I'll never forget (Duiker getting crucified). I'm already enjoying Memories of Ice quite a bit. Events from the first two books are making more sense and the greater story is falling into place (especially when I consider the title of the last book). Is it possible he had the entirety of the ten book arc planned out in detail in advance?

I'll put the Rothfuss stuff in my list. It's a long one, though. Could be a while. Thanks for the rec in any case.