Page 192 of 243 FirstFirst ... 178188190191192193194196206 ... LastLast
Results 1,911 to 1,920 of 2425

Thread: What Are You Reading?

1. Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    It's the best book by far. Have fun reading through that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    That third book was so good, but the fourth book is such a slog. Ugh.
    This is what everyone who has read the series has said. So I'm really looking forward to it.

I ended up reading Dorothy and The Wizard in Oz, and then started Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. I loved the Wicked series, so I've been trying to read through the original Oz stuff. They're short enough that I can read them in a day or so, in between other books. They would all be so much better if they didn't 50 - 100 pages of bullshit after the climax of the story. They seem to all end with a bunch of bullshitting around Oz with no story purpose.

I'm halfway through ALVH, and I'm loving it, specially the way vampires are portrayed here. None of the "they're beautiful, sexy beings that everyone falls in love with" bullshit that has taken over the modern vampire. I should be done with it tonight or tomorrow night, and I don't want to say much else about it just yet.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

2. This is a great read for those who love the Malazan, I missed so many things it is not even funny.

http://www.tor.com/features/series/m...-of-the-fallen

3. Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Is it possible he had the entirety of the ten book arc planned out in detail in advance?
    Well, the Malazan world and story is based on Steven Erikson and Ian Cameron Esslemont's GURPS campaign from the early 80s. People have theorized that Erikson played Kellanved and Esslemont played Dancer. I think the basic road map was laid out.. but I think he put a lot of thought into as he went along. When he was on a podcast I remember him saying he wrote the start of House of Chains as a direct response to some criticism that his story jumped around too much. He's pretty crazy, he wrote a 3 million word series in 12 years.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

4. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    This is a great read for those who love the Malazan, I missed so many things it is not even funny.

http://www.tor.com/features/series/m...-of-the-fallen
    Oh man... I'm not doing anything at work today. Dangerous.

Here is a link to an podcast interview with Steven Erikson that is interesting. It might have some spoilers in it.

Also, check out Life a A Human. Steven Erikson's journal. Most of it is advice on how to write, but it's really a good read.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

5. Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    Well, the Malazan world and story is based on Steven Erikson and Ian Cameron Esslemont's GURPS campaign from the early 80s. People have theorized that Erikson played Kellanved and Esslemont played Dancer. I think the basic road map was laid out.. but I think he put a lot of thought into as he went along. When he was on a podcast I remember him saying he wrote the start of House of Chains as a direct response to some criticism that his story jumped around too much. He's pretty crazy, he wrote a 3 million word series in 12 years.
    I thought Erikson confirmed that he roleplayed Shadowthrone.

6. Finished Abraham Lincoln yesterday. Was a pretty great read, a huge improvement over Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. PPZ just felt haphazardly thrown together. Ideas, and concepts just felt really forced into the story, and elements were combined that didn't make sense. It really felt like he didn't research the things he was adding into the story. This is the complete opposite of that. I feel like I'm seeing the difference between a writer at the very beginning of his career, and one that is much further along in his craft. I'm really looking forward to the movie now, hopefully it does the book justice. I read the Road to Oz this morning, same problem as all the Oz books, I think I'm just going to stop with them soon. On the Train ride home I started A Storm of Swords, and already it's so god damn good.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

The Hunger Games is Battle Royale for 15 year old girls. It's all pretty dresses, crushes, convenient avoidance of any morally ambiguous kills, then more teenage romance.

I thought someone said this was good.

It was well written and had excellent pacing, but I'm just not the audience at all.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Yeah, Locke & Key is really good.
    Everything he has done has been really good.

Great track record.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    The Hunger Games is Battle Royale for 15 year old girls. It's all pretty dresses, crushes, convenient avoidance of any morally ambiguous kills, then more teenage romance.

It was well written and had excellent pacing, but I'm just not the audience at all.
    The first act was terrific, though.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Post-accident Stephen King did. That should've been your first clue.