Page 225 of 243 FirstFirst ... 211221223224225226227229239 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,250 of 2425

Thread: What Are You Reading?

I see you read the special edition.

2. Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    Did you finish The Lies of Locke Lamora?
    Yes. It was okay. It gets compared to Ocean's Eleven a lot so I was anticipating some very clever wrap-up or "a-ha!" moment. Instead, things just got increasingly chaotic. There was no way to have predicted the main villain's motives because you don't have any of that backstory until the very end.

After that I read a Feynman biography and then another physics book on why there is something rather than nothing. This simple fact has fascinated me for some time. Why the hell is there anything? How the hell is there anything? There should be nothing. The book didn't get philosophical at all, but rather explained how there is some precedent (quantum-wise) for something to be created from nothing. "Nothingness is unstable." Quantum fluctuations of gravity could even theoretically produce pockets of space and time. Couple that with an immediate state of rapid inflation, and this could explain our current universe. Of course the reality itself that allows something to spring from nothing, is not quite nothing...

Now I'm reading Malazan #7.

3. malazan 8 is the breaking point for a lot of people.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

4. I'm reading The Shining. The characters have personalities! I prefer that so much to the movie.

I'm finding this to be one of King's best-written books. The pacing seems a bit perfect. While The Stand had me flat-out bored during some stretches due to NEEDLESS exposition, this book explores each character and setting just enough to add to the story and then moves on. If ever an "unabridged" version of The Shining comes along, King is dead to me.

5. Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    malazan 8 is the breaking point for a lot of people.
    That seems pretty late to give up. By then you might as well see the whole thing through. And I thought you said the same thing about #6? Anyway, I will persevere.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    That seems pretty late to give up. By then you might as well see the whole thing through. And I thought you said the same thing about #6? Anyway, I will persevere.

I might have said The Bonehunters was my least favorite book but Toll the Hounds is a grind from start to near the end. I actually liked it but man... sometimes I started to question what was going on.

Wait... did you read Return of the Crimson Guard? I think you are supposed to read that before you start Toll the Hounds.

7. I'm pretty much always questioning what the hell is going on.

No, I haven't read Return of the Crimson Guard. According to wiki it takes place after The Bonehunters. Which means I should have read it before starting Reapers' Gale. Oh, well. Maybe I'll start that "Malazan Empire" series after I finish Reapers'... How does Esslemont compare to Erikson in writing accessibility?

8. He's way more straight forward. There is some background for a character that crosses over to Toll the Hounds, and a reveal that you'd probably want to not have spoiled for the ICE books.

Actually, thinking about it... a few big things happen in Return of the Crimson Guard.

9. I'm sure I left some stuff out, but...

Finished:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot by David Shafer Near-future fiction where a group of eclectic strangers from around the world come together in an attempt to dismantle a tech conglomerate's plan to capture the world population's personal information and do bad things with it. I have a feeling this guy is a first time author... He does stuff with words trying to stand out that no reader wants to deal with... It's pretty typical. Anyway, once I got over that, I found this to be pretty enjoyable. The ending left something to be desired.

Mistborn Trilogy (Mistborn, The Hero of Ages, & The Well of Ascension) by Brandon Sanderson If you have read any of Sanderson's Cosmere stuff, you you what to expect here. Certain people have the ability to burn a consumed metal type (1 of 12) for a specific effect based on the metal. Very rarely a person has the ability to burn all 12 metal types instead of just one, Mistborn. Based in a Gothic setting, where a group of thieves plan to take down the immortal god-tyrant of their world. I like the Stormlight Archive series more than this one, but this trilogy is complete and still pretty good.

The Alloy of Law: A Mistborn Novel by Brandon Sanderson
    X-Men +

Dear god I hope you didn't actually watch/listen to any of that

= Mistborn + 300 years into the future. Three hundred years after the events of the Mistborn Trilogy conclusion, Gothic gives way to the old west setting. He does some interesting stuff with the Allomancy and Feruchemy. I think this was originally a one-shot book, but now there are three more books coming with the first two in late 2015 and early 2016. wicky-wild west... spider robot.

The Martian by Andy Weir I started this a day before the trailer was released. I hustled through it then watched the trailer. Pretty cool. Basic plot: Guy is presumed dead, and left behind as the rest of the crew does an emergency evacuation of a mission on Mars. He has to survive with his skills and what little equipment he has. Another first time author maybe...? He does a good job, but might try to justify his science a little too much with detailed explanations of stuff like pressurization every time the character goes through an airlock. I rarely skim stuff but found myself doing it every once-in-a-while to get on with the action. This book reads pretty fast.

Now Reading:

The Familiar, Volume 1: One Rainy Day in May by Mark Z. Danielewski From the House of Leaves guy (I need to go back and reread that). I'm on page 200 of about 850 pages. This is volume one of 27 (WTF)... So far, so good. It has Point of View chapters and some of his attempts at characters (mexican gangsta in SoCal) are a little cringe-inducing, but overall really interesting. NPR interview
    Last edited by sedition; 23 Jun 2015 at 06:41 PM.

10. Is House of Leaves good? That's the one with the wacky formatting, right? I'll probably read the Mistborn stuff as well soon-ish. It's been recommended to me so many times, I have to at least like it.

Finished Reaper's Gale and I need a long break from Malazan. That one was a trudge. Reading Fall of Giants ​by Ken Follet.