Page 227 of 243 FirstFirst ... 213223225226227228229231241 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,270 of 2425

Thread: What Are You Reading?

1. What Are You Reading?

I remember liking snow crash when I was a teenager. Not sure how it'd hold up now.
    Boo, Hiss.

2. I remember having a hard time taking a book who's main characters name was Hiro Protagonist seriously.

3. Snow Crash was good, dense as fuck and the beginning didn't do it any favors, but I enjoyed it. Had to remember how old it was. Would recommend.

4. What's next?

Have you read or seen Ender's Game?

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower: Book 1)?
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

5. Read Atwood.

6. Not sure, I'll figure something out once we're back home from the hospital.

Dark Tower seems daunting, Enders seems like it should be good. Never saw the movie.

I have Armada also, and read the first trade of The Wicked + The Devine but that's a post for another thread.

7. Handmaid's Tale has probably never been more topical than it is right now. Moreso than when it was written even. Except for the underpopulation thing.

If you like dystopian stuff and are at least little freaked out about the zealotry of some of these candidates, you'll rip through it in a day, then sit in the dark drinking coffee in silence and thinking about it for three hours.

If Snow Crash is the big kid's Ready Player One, then The Handmaid's Tale is the big kid's The Stand.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 15 Aug 2015 at 11:36 AM.

8. Wow, Chux is reading all of the things I read last year!

Snow Crash is DEFINITELY dated, but still tons of fun. I actually loved the "Smooth move, ex-lax!" kinda lines peppered throughout.

With Ender's, there's a bunch of different ways to tackle it. Skip the movie entirely until you've read a few of the books. It honestly doesn't even make sense otherwise. It skips far too much development and rushes the rest of it, so most of the latter half just has no weight or context.

With the books, you can either read them in release order or chronological. There's a TON of them, but most are short reads. The earlier, Ender-focused books actually branch way off after the original. They get really metaphysical and kinda bonkers. I REALLY like those, but I can see why many don't. The Shadow saga actually follows another character you'll meet in Ender's Game and are more about politics and war. I find them a little dull and full of far-fetched schemes that really shouldn't work. They don't even have wacky metaphysics to explain why! Most people prefer the Shadow books, though!

I really recommend going release order with Ender's. It gives you a long enough break after Ender's Game before you read Ender's Shadow, which is a good portion of the same story from a different point of view. They're all a lot of fun if you can just shove Card's bullshit beliefs out of your head as you read them.

9. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Handmaid's Tale has probably never been more topical than it is right now. Moreso than when it was written even. Except for the underpopulation thing.

If you like dystopian stuff and are at least little freaked out about the zealotry of some of these candidates, you'll rip through it in a day, then sit in the dark drinking coffee in silence and thinking about it for three hours.

If Snow Crash is the big kid's Ready Player One, then The Handmaid's Tale is the big kid's The Stand.
    I jumped in to this quickly today, only got to maybe the 3 chapter or something. Do they explain what the fuck is going on, or should I look into supplemental reading?

10. Everything you need to know becomes clear when it has to. Keep at it.