Page 241 of 243 FirstFirst ... 227237239240241242243 LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,410 of 2425

Thread: What Are You Reading?

1. Just got started with Larry Niven's Inconstant Moon, a collection of sci-fi short stories. In the first one which is the book's namesake, the moon glows brighter than it ever has while people are enthralled by its beauty. OTOH the underlying cause may have terrible consequences. Meanwhile, the narrator Stan and his girlfriend Leslie enjoy a night on the town like it's their last one. So far it's been a good book.

2. I try to resist the urge to Livejournal this thread with whatever I'm reading for research/class, but if you have any stomach for 19th-century British novels at all, George Eliot's The Mill on the Floss is the best coming-of-age novel of that period before Hardy. You know that special kind of agitation you feel when you agree with someone a little too hard? That pressure you can't figure out how to vent when someone puts into words things you've always felt but couldn't articulate? When it feels so close to what you've felt that it almost feels like it's you saying it? When the call is coming from inside the house? It's 400 pages of that feeling.

The way it insists on and reminds you of the intensity with which you felt all those little childhood reproaches--and theorizes why that was and why it and the pain of children you see now seems so distant and silly--was a constant source of a weird kind of pleasure + wanting to kind of throw up my feelings. And George Eliot's critique of the "man of maxim"--the guy who lets black-and-white bumper sticker doctrine govern his choices--is uncannily timely, but then it probably feels/felt/will feel that way no matter when it's read because that's how a work of art created by a genius works.

And the ending is the wild. I was warned it was the biggest surprise ending in Victorian literature. Even though its possibility is suggested a hundred times, the pace at which it happened was something I couldn't have prepared for.

Just a really weird and great book!
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 21 Oct 2017 at 11:50 AM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Just started A Song of Ice and Fire, only a fraction into the first book. It's pretty awesome so far.
    How was it?

4. The last chapter of Of Mice and Men is the harshest toke. I read it when I was 13 and it stuck with me, but I didn’t remember Lennie hallucinating.

I read it all today. It’s 120 pages, takes place in 4-5 sets, and reads like it was intended for the stage. Yet no movie or TV adaptation ever really got it right. James Franco did a stage play in ‘14, I wonder how that was?

Do we do cautionary tales anymore? The tragedy in this book could have been avoided had any number of characters tried to understand or even really listen to another. Instead, they lay in solitude with their issues festering. Everyone is on edge.

I wanted to end on chapter 4; but I knew I had to see it through or it would eat at me.

I’d like to think George, Candy & Crooks got the farm.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

You chose now if all times to revisit that book?

Oh sweet Lennie...

6. See my Facebook post. After contacting a dozen people over a week, I got a reply from an American Chinchilla bunny farm ...in Salinas, CA.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. On Grapes now. I never read it. The first chapter is pretty terrific.

What is the Great American Novel tnl?

I’m going to try to read a book a month next year.

8. So anyone else reading Oathbringer right now? I just start part 4. Which is like 2/3s maybe 3/4s of the way through the book overall. I don't think I can say enough how much I enjoy Sanderson's writing style and world building. That said though I'm maybe a little disappointed/frustrated/upset at some of the character choices he's made for one or two of the characters. For one of them I feel like we're retreading the same or similar ground we did in the last two books, and I just want that character to be past that already.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    What is the Great American Novel tnl?
    The Dark Tower I-IV

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    On Grapes now. I never read it. The first chapter is pretty terrific.
    Is that the part where he said "dust" like 30 times? I had to read that book in high school, but i threw it in the trash to see what the teacher would do. I still haven't read past that first chapter.
    Last edited by Josh; 09 Dec 2017 at 06:22 PM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    So anyone else reading Oathbringer right now? I just start part 4. Which is like 2/3s maybe 3/4s of the way through the book overall. I don't think I can say enough how much I enjoy Sanderson's writing style and world building. That said though I'm maybe a little disappointed/frustrated/upset at some of the character choices he's made for one or two of the characters. For one of them I feel like we're retreading the same or similar ground we did in the last two books, and I just want that character to be past that already.
    I'm rereading words of raidiance before I give into oathbringer.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.