Page 6 of 243 FirstFirst ... 2456781020 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading?

Survivor is second best for me, narrowly edged out by Lullaby. I don't read many books straight through in a day, but I did for Lullaby.

2. Quote Originally Posted by MVS
    I read the entire Preacher Series.
    Preacher was awesome, except for the very ending, which was somewhat lame. Still, it's probably the best written comic I've ever read. I own all the trade paperbacks.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

3. Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Survivor is second best for me, narrowly edged out by Lullaby. I don't read many books straight through in a day, but I did for Lullaby.
    Really? i've heard it was his worst and was going to pass on it. A select few seem to really love it though. And, again, in my opinion it couldn't be much worse than Invisible Monsters.
    I thought you were gay.... i guess not.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Videodrone
    To all Chuck readers: please, please real Survivor. your life will never be the same. I see so many people taking about reading every one of his novel except for his best.
    Agreed. I enjoyed Fight Club immensely, but Survivor is far superior. Invisible Monsters is kinda shit, though. Palahniuk wrote it before FC, and it shows.

I'm reading The DaVinci Code, and I'm baffled at how much I'm enjoying it; but it's good, satisfying shit. Also skimming through Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas again. It's nice to have a book that you can start reading at a random page, and still enjoy.

5. Quote Originally Posted by BioMechanic
    I dig Lovecraft! Wasn't Nightmares & Dreamscapes also a Stephen King short story collection?

I'm reading Worlds Vast and Various, a short story collection by Gregory Benford.

After that, it'll be The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling, followed by the first book in Neal Stephenson's new trilogy, called Quicksilver.

I also recently found out that Dan Simmons (who did the Hyperion series) has a new book out callied Ilium which deals with a 20th-century scholar observing the Trojan War, Greek gods, and interstellar sentient machines who find something odd on Jupiter or something.....supposedly everything will tie together in the second book, Olympos which should be out next year. Must-reads.

Like usual, way too much good stuff.
    bio, you are right, i dont know where that title came from, i didnt even read that stephen king book, the collection is called "Dreams of terror and death" the irony being that by the time lovecraft had gotten into his dream cycle, he seemed less about the aspects of "horror" and more into the wonder of dreaming and escape form life. Somethign he goes into in ex oblivione and the silver key,and later(though not in this volume) with nathacana.
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass
    Squall's a dick.

6. Yeah, later on in his life, HP got influenced by stuff like Dunsany, and it really affected his own writing. Some of the imagery in those Silver Key works is really startling, in a good way.

As for that "misleading" title......I bet it was the publisher's idea.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

7. Has anyone else noticed that whenever a book thread opens up, it turns into a palahnuiak freak out?

JM

8. Well, I for one have finished my CHuck P. book and moving on to "Cat's Cradle" by Kurt Vonnegut.
    I thought you were gay.... i guess not.

9. figured i would bump this,i just got and finished a new neil Gaiman book "coraline" which is a very tightly written short story that has the feel of a modern grimm brothers fairy tale. Very short, but beautifully written and the pacing is perfect, everything is there for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass
    Squall's a dick.

10. I was reading some Icelandic Sagas last night. A certain mood struck me before bed...