Page 216 of 243 FirstFirst ... 202212214215216217218220230 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,160 of 2425

Thread: What Are You Reading?

1. I read all 3 of the Mistborn books and I highly recommend them. I actually read all 3 right in a row. I'm about half way through American Gods now.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

I haven't read a book since I tried reading that Coheed and Cambria joint that covers the story of the first album. It was like bad Xmen fan fiction. Claudio killed my love of reading.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    I read all 3 of the Mistborn books and I highly recommend them. I actually read all 3 right in a row. I'm about half way through American Gods now.
    Maybe I'll pick those up next. I was really impressed with his Stormlight Archive stuff but he just released book two about six months ago. So it's gonna be awhile until the next one in the series. There are supposed to be 10 books.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    It was like bad Xmen fan fiction.
    So basically all X-Men since the late 1980s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

I'll allow it.

Seriously though, it was fucking terrible.

7. Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post

Now Reading:

Hawkwood and the Kings (The Monarchies of God Book One) by Paul Kearney Book one of two in the Monarchies of God series. Military fantasy done well. It follows three to four characters around a deeply developed continent, filled with politics, religions, cultures, histories, and war. The magic system is pretty basic but ties into some of the plot lines. The author writes a lot of technical naval stuff. The guy isn't afraid to write about sex or brutality. Some of the characters are a little boring and one-sided, others are great. I definitely wouldn't recommend it as a jump-in point for starting fantasy, but if you have some background and want a military fantasy novel that isn't Malazan in scope, you might want to try this out.

Century of the Soldier (The Monarchies of God Book Two) by Paul Kearney So far, so good. Just started the second and final book in the series. It's one of those "No character is safe" type of books. Everyone has had to deal with massive amounts of trauma.
    Century of the Soldier (The Monarchies of God Book Two) by Paul Kearney I finished this book awhile ago. I feel like this book didn't go in the direction I wanted it to go. It was still a decent read. There is just a lot of other dark military fantasy I'd recommend over this (Malazan and The Black Company).

Stormlight Archives Book 1 and 2 (The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance) by Brandon Sanderson Yeah this was really good and would probably be one of my top recommendations for people wanting to get into fantasy reading (up there with Kingkiller Chronicles). It does a lot of things right. It is backed by a complex but not super overwhelming history. It focuses on one or two main character progressions, with maybe three other sub-characters. The magic and weapon systems are really interesting. The setting reminds me a little more of a fantasy anime than most books... in a good way. The series does the BSG "frak" cuss word replacement thing... it's really annoying. A few other cons: Sanderson finds a way to skirt the depth of one of the magic systems as the story goes along and it doesn't feel right. Only two books, of an expected ten, have been released. Hopefully this guy writes faster than GRRM and Rothfuss. The artwork on the cover of the second book has three spoilers... one if you are reading the first book and two others as you read the second book and events take place. Kind of weird. Anyway, that's a lot of complaining for something that is really good. Read this is you are looking for something new. I'm interested to see what anyone else he thinks of this series.

Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy I reread this because it's some of the best literature recently written. Stories about loss and displacement, change and being left behind, justice and repercussions. There really isn't much out there better than this trilogy. The Crossing is such a shit-storm of misfortune and loss; it's way worse than I remember it the first time. It was interesting looking back and finding the first part of The Crossing coming to a close and not being as appallingly tragic as the first time through.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch A story about a city and a crew of thieves trying to pull off an intricate scheme because that's what they know. When an author attempts a plot where the main players are supposed to be masterminds of their craft and it entails all of this cerebral plotting and twists, you hope, and maybe it's an impossible hope, they he can create and maintain a level of genius expected to make it believable. He does a pretty good job of getting by; I wanted to "see" the final outcome. A few things bothered me while reading it and near the end he briefly answers the first part of my big questions How the Falconer discovers who the Thorn is and but then leaves me feeling, if that is the case, how Locke could possibly defeat him... it just doesn't really match up. Overall though it feels pretty original for a thieving and revenge type fantasy. There are two more books in the Gentleman Bastards series. I'll probably try those out a little later.

Now Reading:

Assail (Novels of Malazan Empire, Book Six of Six) by Ian C. Esslemont This is the sixth and final book for ICE's portion of the Malazan saga. This has a lot to live up to. ICE has really put off dealing with the Crimson Guard Avowed's true story until now... and everything hopefully closes with them in this book. The development throughout the series on his main group has been frustrating. It has a lot of big players for ICE to use: Silverfox and the end to her task, continued from Memories of Ice, Bars from Midnight Tides and the Crimson Guard Avowed, Fisher. Some great characters and Assail, the most feared and supposedly brutal continent in the Malazan world. I'm about halfway though. It's pretty entertaining, standard ICE stuff. It gets confusing as about six or seven different groups all attempt to challenge Assail. Four groups, sometimes composed of multiple parties, are sailing around the continent and other groups are running around on the mainland. It usually takes a few paragraphs to figure out who you are dealing with, typical Malazan. I hope this ends well.. I guess I'll feel a lot better about ICE if he succeeds. Then the long wait for Fall of Light in early 2015.

Up Next:

Magician's Land by Lev Grossman I'm not really into a lot of the stuff that happens in this series but it has some cool elements involved. There is always a lot of potential. This is the third book in the trilogy... might as well finish it off.

The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss This side story comes out on 28 October. I'll probably have some free time to read this on release. I guess I expect a lot considering what Rothfuss has already done. I try not to worry too much about the authors and just try to consider their work, but I find his attitude a lot like early GRRM. He seems like he's focused on everything but his story. Maybe I'm wrong and he'll have the third Kingkiller Chronicle ready soon.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

8. I finished Haruki Murakami's latest, Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage, in two sittings over the weekend. It's much more Norwegian Wood than 1Q84, for those of you that are familiar with his work; beautiful and very melancholic (particularly the last 100 pages). Hits especially hard if you happen to be in your mid to late 30s, I think.

I tried to get into the mainline Malazan books, but they're just not doing it for me. I admire the scope of the world and the mythology, but I was bored out of my mind halfway through the first book. I have such a hard time finding fantasy novels that sustain my interest.

9. Quote Originally Posted by No One View Post
    I tried to get into the mainline Malazan books, but they're just not doing it for me. I admire the scope of the world and the mythology, but I was bored out of my mind halfway through the first book. I have such a hard time finding fantasy novels that sustain my interest.
    Same here. My taste for the things that I used to love so passionately (and even the same genre I write) seems to have ebbed.

My girl tried to get me to read that Perks of a Wallflower book or whatever, and a few pages in I realized it was YA so I put that down. I'm currently on Penguin Lost (the sequel to Death and the Penguin, by Audrey Kurkov) and The Internal Enemy (since it won a Pulitzer).

10. Death and the Penguin is on my list, perhaps once I finish up the new Tom Rob Smith joint. I've heard the sequel wasn't so hot, but that the original is excellent.