Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: was there ever a english versions of Snatchers & Policenauts???

1. was there ever a english versions of Snatchers & Policenauts???

I heard ppl saying those games were there all time favorites

tell me about them!

do they play like dragon's lair or is there more gameplay
    how long do they last?
    etc...

also how does it compare to the MGS series?
    http://www.bioweapons.com/images/GN3Guyvers.jpg

Most OVERRATED videogame of ALL Time

-GTA3

"Well, I have lots of impressions about the PS2 (smiles)...if you turn off that recorder I'll tell you some things (laughter)"
    -AM2's Yu Suzuki

2. They play EXACTLY like MGS.

:jest:

3. lol

yeah I can imagine why

http://www.bioweapons.com/images/GN3Guyvers.jpg

Most OVERRATED videogame of ALL Time

-GTA3

"Well, I have lots of impressions about the PS2 (smiles)...if you turn off that recorder I'll tell you some things (laughter)"
    -AM2's Yu Suzuki

4. Snatcher(singular, not plural) came out in the US in english for the Sega CD.

Policenauts never came out here but is rumored to have been completely translated and then forgotten. I wish I could get my hands on that translation...

Anyway, the first (Snatcher) is a digital comic. There are actual shooting sequences that you can use a light gun for, but most of the game is going to places and investigating things to follow the story. The meat of the game is in its charm, wit, story and gorgeous visuals.

The sequel is more of the same, yet "kicked up a notch". Everything is better and the second uses mouse control (or mouse-like control if you have no mouse) and is more precise with the light gun support.

Snatcher is one disc, while Policenauts is I believe 3 (but possibly 4, I'm too lazy to get up and grab it).

They are great. Check out the Domestic Sega CD release of Snatcher, at an ebay near you!

5. do they play like dragon's lair or is there more gameplay
    how long do they last?
    No, not Dragon's Lair trial-and-error type gameplay. Their graphic adventures with shooting sequences. Go to various locales, gather clues, solve the occasional puzzle, and some nifty, fast-paced shooting sequences. Snatcher lasts about 5-10 hours depending how fast you can work your way through it. Policenauts I don't know about because I haven't had a chance to play ALL the way through it as of yet

also how does it compare to the MGS series?
    There are some correlations but nothing overly blatant, Meryl Silverburgh from MGS, is in Policenauts. But supposedly Policenauts takes place so far in the future there's no way she'd still be alive unless she was cryogenically frozen or something like that. And with the way Kojima-san thinks, I wouldn't rule that out entirely

Snatcher was localized for Sega CD and it routinely fetches $50-90 on eBay. Policenauts was supposed to be localized for Saturn and Konami had the game somewhere from 90-100% translated when they decided to scrap the project at the last minute because of the US Saturn's premature demise, something all Policenaut/Snatcher fans continue to be pissed off about today
    omg TNL epics!

6. Originally posted by Ragnarok the Red

Policenauts was supposed to be localized for Saturn and Konami had the game somewhere from 90-100% translated when they decided to scrap the project at the last minute because of the US Saturn's premature demise
    Uh, and why wouldn't they have just gone ahead and brought out a translated PlayStation version then? Seems logical.

7. It's a long story that has to do with cigarettes.

Garbage...

Later all...

8. Originally posted by Rob
    Uh, and why wouldn't they have just gone ahead and brought out a translated PlayStation version then? Seems logical.

Stop it, you're gonna make the Policenaut/Snatcher fans cry!

9. Originally posted by Rob
    Because, Rob, though the games may be the same the code is written differently for different systems. If it was that easy, it wouldn't have taken Square so long to translate FF6 in FF Anthology, or FF4 and Chrono Trigger in FF Chronicles since they were all already translated from previous US releases and only FF4 differed greatly in terms of changes to the script. Thats just the way it is unfortunately
    omg TNL epics!

10. Originally posted by Ragnarok the Red

Because, Rob, though the games may be the same the code is written differently for different systems.
    I know it's probably not as simple as "cut and paste," but the actual translating seems to be the brunt of the workload. It seems stupid to ignore an entire, huge market when the game is nearly completely in English, even for another system. I mean, if they can port the entire game to another system, how hard could some text be?

Bah, whatever. At least Snatcher is in English...