Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perfect Cherry Blossom

1. http://pirikara.net/game/?game=touhoukoumakyou

Embodiment of Scarlet Devil is probably my favorite shoot-'em-up of all time. It is very rare that you come across a game that is so polished all across the board. From graphics to sound to (of course) gameplay, and design, Scarlet Devil is near perfect.
    You have a choice of controlling one of two twisted little girls who could have played the role of Alice (from the PC game "American McGee's Alice" to a T. I'll admit that the character design definitely helped this game's score, although it probably would have gotten its great mark without them.

As in any and every other shooter, the goal of Scarlet Devil is to fly through level after level, taking out enemies -extremely well drawn and animated enemies- and blowing up bosses, who share the well drawn and animated characteristics of their lesser allies. There appears to be some story in the game, as your character always has a brief chat with the enemy before engaging in combat, but I since I have little knowledge of Japanese I have no idea what it is about. But even though most of us won't understand the story, we can still enjoy the great anime-style art and character design that accompanies the dialogue.

Speaking of the bosses, Scarlet Devil's boss fights are definitely some of the best I have ever played. Every boss has 2-3 "lives" that you must extinguish before moving on. Every life consists of a life bar, which is displayed at the top of the screen. After every lifebar, the boss, who is usually another warped little girl or fairy, will change her attack pattern. And the attack patterns are a large part of what makes this game so much fun. If your tired of facing the same attacks, just slightly varied, in shooter after shooter, then Scarlet Devil is definitely for you. It would be kinda hard to explain an attack pattern in a review, but suffice it to say that they are the most hectic and seemingly impossible things I have ever seen. -Seemingly- impossible. The game gives you 5 lives to start with and uses the "one-hit-kill" rule, so if you are not on your game, you will die. Lots and lots of times (you can continue infinitely, but what fun is that!). However, unlike most other shooters, in Scarlet Devil it is possible -but highly improbable- to make it through the games entire 3 long levels without getting hit once. Even in the midst of the lunacy of the Lunatic difficulty level, a little (Okay, alot) of foresight and lightning reflexes will getcha through without a scratch.

The graphics in EoSD are beautiful. Everything has a really neat washed out effect that adds immensley to the feel of the game. All the enemies and characters are very impressive both graphically and conceptually. The backgrounds are also very stylized and grow more impressive with each level. The final boss's section is by far the most impressive in the game.

Scarlet Devil's sound is pretty much unsurpassed it the freeware shooter realm. All of the music is prefectly fitting to the atmosphere and is actually stuff that you might listen to even out of the game. The enemies die with a satisfying dying sound and your weapons sound good as well. All in all, the game has a very rich and deep sound to it.

Bottom Line: If you've just wasted your time with that behemoth of a review then you know that I like this game. If you are even a casual shooter fan, I'd reccomend that'cha download it now. If the fact that there are only 3 levels turns you off, remember that each difficulty is pretty much a new game of it's own because the enemies attacks vary so greatly. I don't think there is anything negative to say about this game. Very highly recommended.

2. no more posts! damn game won't work on my system. i get an illegal operation as soon as i click what i assume is the "continue" button in the setup window.

3. Theres a patch out there that makes them work for OS's under XP, let me dig it out.

4. if you find it, you'll be my bestest friend forever!

5. Apparently, versions above 0.9 dont need the patch, have you tried 0.11? (My banner link)

6. However, unlike most other shooters, in Scarlet Devil it is possible -but highly improbable- to make it through the games entire 3 long levels without getting hit once.
    Never really played a shooter before, huh?

7. Hmm yeah, thats a total overstatement, unless he means the whole 6 level games.
    I finished the demo on one credit the first time I played it. Trying to complete the first 3 level with maximum points or the whole game or anything higher then normal difficulty are big steps from just playing normal.

8. Quote Originally Posted by §eraphim
    Apparently, versions above 0.9 dont need the patch, have you tried 0.11?
    i guess i had an older version. thanks^327682743.

what a wonderful game.

9. unless I missed it...

Is this game related to Mobile Light Force 2?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Zerodash
    unless I missed it...

Is this game related to Mobile Light Force 2?
    Na, just a similar style. There 2 major categories of Shmup. Manic and calm. Theres a debate thread going on in another forum atm about what is classable as what. I see things like ThunderForce, R-Type, and Ikaruga as calm (Patterns, Strategy). While Dodonpachi, Shigami No Shiro, and Perfect Cherry Blossom are Manic/Curtainfire (Tons of bullets, Twitch reactions).