Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Cherry Blossom

1. Perfect Cherry Blossom

Some of you might have played this curtain fire shmup either through being a shmup fan or checking out my long time signature.(Just updated it to the latest and final free version) But so far that has only been the demo version of the game.

A little while ago the full version of PCB came out and I jumped at the opportunity to conquer the full game.
    Now that I have finally bought it and finished it, am I happy? Hell yes, more then I have been from any other game in ages. The game only starts at the end of the demo, its like experiencing only 2 levels of Ikaruga, although you get a feel for the game, its only after you see all the levels, all the enemies, all the bullet patterns, and how hard it really gets do you appreciate what a fantastic game it is.

What makes me laugh is that it costs 1400yen, and I just think about the amount of shitty games that are released for $40.
    People might say that’s because a lot of developers push a lot of income into the graphics for big time releases. I know the average joe cant tell the difference, but graphical achievement can be easily reached regardless of if you cram the screen with 12 billion polygons a second or not.
    The graphical achievement in this is cleaveress, watching the way the bombs explode, the paths of bullets, the mists the bosses emit, even the backgrounds, everything just looks flowing and beautiful (Kind of the way Zelda: WW worked). That and I simply adore the character design….^^

Getting it however can be a pain, even though its only 1400yen, the only place I know that stocks it is Himeya at $25. However even then, its well worth the price.

http://shop.himeya.com/products/adul...ct_cherry.html

For Shooter fans it’s a must.
    Others a great game.
    Polygon whores need not apply.

2. Ah sweet, I'm definitely picking that up. Have you seen Embodiement of Scarlet Devil in any online shops by chance as well?

3. By "PCB" do you really mean "PC"? That don't look like no jamma game to me. That said, it does look pretty cool. What controller do you use to play it?

Pa

*edit* LOL, clearly PCB stands for Perfect Cherry Blossom

4. Never would run on my system for reasons still unknown to me.

5. Quote Originally Posted by SiKrAiKeN
    Ah sweet, I'm definitely picking that up. Have you seen Embodiement of Scarlet Devil in any online shops by chance as well?
    Unfortunetly not, and is an even bigger pain to run on non japanese PCs. Although I dident have a slightest bit of trouble installing PCB, I did have a few issues with the wav files.

Quote Originally Posted by PaCrappa
    By "PCB" do you really mean "PC"? That don't look like no jamma game to me. That said, it does look pretty cool. What controller do you use to play it?

Pa

Heh I even made sure to say the full name before I used PCB to avoid that little bit of confusion....

6. I need this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda
    Never would run on my system for reasons still unknown to me.
    It's because God hates you.

7. I actually found a review of this, on GameHippo...

"Perfect Cherry Blossom is the companion/sequel to one of my favorite shooters ever, Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.
    Like it's predeccesor, Perfect Cherry Blossom features great graphics, great(er) character design, amazing sound, and awesome gameplay. Although both of the aforementioned games are pretty much equal across the board, Perfect Cherry Blossom is clearly the winner in the sound and music department. In fact, I'd have to say that PCB features what is hands-down the best soundtrack ever heard in a freeware game. It's mostly classical stuff, and it's all awesome.

As said earlier in this review, the gameplay is almost exactly identical to EoSD, with the exception of a couple tweaks, which are definitely for the better. There is also a great new playable character, which brings the character total to 3. All 3 are completely different and definitely warrant individual playthroughs. The tweaks include the ability to slow your movement down for tight situations that require precise movement, and the ability to alter your shot and bomb by holding down a button, which is the same button that is used for the slow-down technique. Fortunately, the double-feature button doesn't really get in the way in the least.

The graphics are neither a step ahead or a step back from the graphics in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. At times, such as during the final boss fight, the graphics are unbelievable, while at other times the graphics are merely good. In the end, EoSD's graphics were more consistent, but PCB has more blow-you-away scenes.

The characters, as always, look great. From their in game look and animations, to the dialogue portraits, these are some of the best looking characters around, technically, and conceptually. The final boss's name is Alice, which is always a huge plus.

It should also be noted that this game doesn't have the whole underlying "Devil theme", so if you were turned off by it in the last game, this game won't be a problem.

Bottom Line: Team Shanghai Alice delivers once again. If for some reason you did not like the last game then this won't do anything to change your mind, but for those who loved (or merely liked) EoSD, this game will satiate your hunger for more.

I realize that I did not go into much detail on the actual gameplay mechanics in this review; you'll find all that in the review for Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.

Controls are: "Z"-Standard Shot, "X"-Bomb, "Left Shift"- Standard shot 2 (hold and press "Z"), slow down.

Additional Note: Okay. Alot of people have been complaining about not being able to get the game to work on their PCs for various reasons. Some of these reasons can be helped, some can't. But instead of whining over it in the User Comments, just go to our Message Board, which is on the sidebar, and go to the Help Forum. Chances are that if you can be helped, someone there will help you."

Quote Originally Posted by PaCrappa
    By "PCB" do you really mean "PC"? That don't look like no jamma game to me. That said, it does look pretty cool. What controller do you use to play it?
    I saw it and was all "THE PCB ONLY COSTS $40!!!"

I was very excited. Then I figured it out... and I'm not so excited anymore.

9. Actually, if ShanghaiAlice did push for a PCB arcade release, it wouldent cost that much to buy, there isent the typical millions gone into production. The PC version costs a pocket change value of 1400yen.

10. Quote Originally Posted by PaCrappa

Pa

you're not the only one. I actually managed to get the demo to work on my PC the other day, and it's very much like Shikigami no Shiro, though some of the mechanics in this I like better. For $24 it's well worth it.