Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxset Recommendations

1. 2 Hot Anime

My money's been tied up in games and comics this last year. I've really fallen out of the loop. I love anime but I'm no enthusiast. I'd really like to pick up a box set or two this month.

I've done Bebop (duh), Evangelion, Escaflowne, Lain and even Soul Taker (bleh). I own quite a few movies but I know there is some grade-A shit out there that I've missed.

So, the best of the best. What do you recommend.

Did Arcadia of My Youth get a release on DVD yet?

2. Give Heat Guy J a try. Its pretty good sci-fi/action show. Nice animations, cool characters and action scenes and interesting setting.

Ninja Scroll TV series. I havent see it yet, but I heard its decent.

3. Quote Originally Posted by BEBOPlover
    Did Arcadia of My Youth get a release on DVD yet?
    October 17.

4. My two favorite series are Boogiepop Phantom (if you liked Lain, you'll dig it) and Gasaraki (mix of near-future but "realistic" mecha/political intrigue/supernatural weirdness). Best Buy carries a limited edition box set of Phantom that you might luck out and find, while Gasaraki's is more common.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

5. EDIT:

Recommendations...

Umm... FLCL. I'm too lazy to think of anything else.

6. - Now and Then, Here and There
    - FLCL
    - Boogiepop Phantom (my Best Buy just got more of the Premium boxes back in stock, hrmmm)
    - His and Her Circumstances

Not fully out yet:
    - Haibane Renmei
    - RahXephon
    - Aura Battler Dunbine (oldschool goodness!)

7. Berserk, Berserk, and then Berserk. (If you enjoy very dark fantasy anime)

You can do no wrong with FLCL. (If you uhh, enjoy anime)

You might enjoy the original Record of Lodoss War (the 12 or 13 episode boxset). It's dated material, but it's very enjoyable.

If you want something that has a good mix of everything, with probably the biggest emphasis on comedy and mecha action, check out Martian Successor Nadesico. Has one of the best characters in all of anime, Gai Daigoji.

Check out Hellsing. Four DVDs, pretty over the top but good fun regardless. After Berserk, Eva, and Bebop, everything else plays second fiddle in terms of TV series.

Ninja Scroll TV, since it was mentioned, I would like to formally crap on in text based format. It's not bad, but it's really disappointing when compared to the original Ninja Scroll, from what I've seen at least.

There's plenty of good shit out there... of the stuff you mentioned, what did you enjoy the most of the bunch? Makes recommendations a lot less general and vague.

8. ahh, Berserk! How could I leave that off my list!?
    Yeah, definately make Berserk your top priority.

9. Another oversight!
    Fruits Basket - this one is a classic. Make it number two on your list, right behind Berserk.

10. That good huh? I'll have to check that one out then, haven't seen a single episode...