• Just Right

13 22.81%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ico: Under-Rated or Over-Rated?

1. Rated correctly, by me.

6/10.

buy at no more than 10 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinopio
    Its rated correctly. Its a fantastic game, but it has some huge flaws. Top 3 PS2 games, i'd say.
    How the hell does a game have huge flaws and still wind up in the top 3 games in a pretty solid library?

3. Xbox 360 II

Ico is by far the worst game I played during this generation (I am sure there are worsegames, but I have not played them). I rented it because of all the glowing reviews and ended up loathing every single thing about it. As far as I am concerned it does not have a single redeeming quality. I hated the camera. I hated the control. The graphics were poor. I hated the tedious way you had to fight the black blobs. Ugh. It was just plain awful. Than goodness it was only a rental.

What's funny is I just realised that Boktai shares a design concept with Ico. Instead of taking care of the useless girl, in Ico you need to take care of the coffin (whih tries to escape) after you defeat the boss and before you purify it. Thankfully, in Boktai it's not overdone and works extremely well.

4. Other than the combat portions, which last too long and are easy and/or pointless, I have no gripes with the game.

The atmosphere that game created in and around the castle was just amazing. Gameplay wise it's good, but not great. It's your standard Prince of Persia style game, in 3D. Subsequent play throughs of the game are tough, for me, because the game feels like a chore. But I can just bask in the surroundings, and that's not something I can find in many other games.

I think the game is under appreciated, and maybe a little over rated. Fantastic game the first time through, I'd give it a 9 probably. After that though, more like a 7... and that's being somewhat generous, basing the score almost entirely on presentation.

Oh and the U.S. boxart is just plain foul.

5. I'll second the Boxart. It's right up there with Valis & Megaman!! The boxart for the european & Japanese editions were so much better.

6. I think the game is neither overrated nor underrated. It got a lot of hype, sold well, has a sequel coming out, and, well, its a very good game. It probably sold about as well as it should have, and other game developers are using it as an inspiration for their art. The game did good, but calling it underrated is ludicrous, and calling it overrated is silly too.

7. ...And diffx said pretty much what I would have.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Abobo
    Just because a game gets fantastic reviews, does not mean that it's underrated. Maybe not underrated in the gaming media...but is it underrated by the gamers themselves.

i assumed that when you were talking underrated/overrated, you meant in the press, since reviewers are generally the ones who rate games.

i could care less about individual opinions of ICO, since natually they're going to be all over the place.. Press reviews/ratings usually have more impact.

but i just get the feeling that anyone who hated the game was expecting something else.. i loved every minute of it and don't see what there is to hate.

9. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    I think the game is neither overrated nor underrated. It got a lot of hype, sold well, has a sequel coming out, and, well, its a very good game. It probably sold about as well as it should have, and other game developers are using it as an inspiration for their art. The game did good, but calling it underrated is ludicrous, and calling it overrated is silly too.
    Actually, Ico sold like shit, and we're very lucky that a prequel/sequel is apparently in development.

It's an underrated game.

10. I would really like to know what is up with Nico, or Dragon Peace, or whatever the hell the game is called. So much mystery surrounding that one.

And I'm pretty sure Ico sold like poo over here as well.