Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: October Comic Book Thread

1. October Comic Book Thread

I hope you guys don't mind me starting a new thread. I just felt the other one was spiraling out of control. If we have one dedicated thread each month where we can discuss the news, reviews and whatnot of it will be more concise. I enjoy reading everyone's posts but wading through page after page is exhausting.

Some of the big titles for me this month:

Ultimate Six #2--Haven't read it yet but, man, that cover is so cool. Cassady rules.

Ultimate Spider-Man--Kingpin is back looking for revenge. Nuff'
    said!

New X-men #147--Morrison broke my heart with what happened to Xorn (no spoilers here), but I pray he can turn Planet-X into a powerful 5-part story.

Powers #34--Cool cover. Haven't read it yet, but it rarely doesn't deliver.

As for some news: Well David Mack is going to be doing a run on New X-men. Once again *sigh* Wolverine will be the focal point. I really wish they'd lay off him for a bit. Too much of anything is bad.

Are you guys big Mack fans? I dislike his current Dare Devil run.

Also, in the new Wizard there is a pic of Silvestri's art for New X-Men. The arc that will take place in the future. All I gotta say is Beak is all grown up and looks like a bad ass.

What did you guys buy this week? What did ya hate? What did ya love? What news tickled your fancy?

2. Criminal Macabre issue #5 came out, ending the story. Looks like Cal MacDonald stories are just that, short stories. By the sounds of it they have no intentions on doing one big serial with him. I may pick up Wake the Dead (new mini series by the "30 Days of Night" crew).

As for CM, it was great. Awesome writing, a fantastic art style and a really cool story. Plus I love Cal, one of the coolest characters I've read. Only problem is that the art can get so abstract/dark that it can be hard to tell wtf is happening.

3. I posted this in the other thread not realizing there was a new one. This week I got:

Ultimate Six #2 - Hell yeah, the cover does rock. Haven't read the issue yet though.

Ultimate Spidey #47 - Thought this was a really good issue. The dialog between MJ and Peter was good. Oh, and, wtf is that red stuff on Peter's shirt at the end of the issue? Is is just a really ugly shirt?

Spidey/Doc Ock Mini Series - Bought this on a whim.

Street Fighter #1 (second printing) - Was looking for this everywhere but was sold out everywhere. My local shop got 2 in and put one aside knowing I wanted it, nice guys I say!

Supreme Power #3 - Haven't read it but it's my most looked forward comic this week.
    I thought you were gay.... i guess not.

4. Love Fights #4, which has been a fun "life in the super hero world" book so far and shows no signs of stopping. I've only got to read a few pages so far, but it doesn't show any signs of slowing down yet.

Cerebus #294. Dave Sim may be insane but he still can write a good comic. 6 issues to go.

Savage Dragon #111. A guilty pleasure every month.

Bone #52. Jeff Smith is promising monthly for the final issues on the inside back cover. At the speed the final story is going that'd be great, but I'm guessing it's more a fond dream than anything else.

Astro City: Local Heroes #4. It was supposed to be all one-shot stories for the current 6-issue run, but that plan fell apart with this two parter. I both can't believe and am very happy that Astro City is still going on after all the things that've happened to it.

Alias #27. At the moment it's my favorite Bendis series, although once Powers gets past it's current history lesson it might change. Speaking of Powers, I didn't notice it on the racks, I'll run a search for it tomorrow.

James

5. Fuck! I typed a whole bunch of crap on the issues I read so far but my keyboard got hit accidentally and the friggin browser deleted it *sigh* FUCK!

I got:

Ultimate Six #2- Not read yet.

New X-Men #147- Wierd issue. Don't know if it really happened or not but the new Brotherhood team are weird.

Very good art by Phil Jimenez and pretty crazy in detail almost George Perez'ish but still his own style. Colors were pretty orange/red in hue though.

Superman Birthright #2- Basically Superman the movie but updated for today. I was annoyed by all the stupid X-Box ads interrupting the flow of the story and panels. Art is incredible by Yu as well as the color clean and detailed.

Spiderman/Doctor Octopus Negative Exposure- Didn't read yet.

Superman Action Comics #808- Didn't read yet, need to read whole arc.

Ultimate Spiderman #47- Not read yet.

Batman #619(Last week release but I nabbed the 'Heroes' cover finally)- Ending of Hush wasn't as great as I thought it would be but it certainly bumps the Riddler up the villains notch. Awesome usual Jim Lee art(but I think his action scenes could use some work in panel to panel transition).

I'll fill in the rest after I read em.

6. Powers was fantastic. Without giving too much away, Albert Einstein makes a guest appearence. Now that I see where this history lesson is going, I have to admit it's a clever yarn.

Ultimate X-Men was, again, a fun, fun issue, even if you forget your reading a X-Men comic.But the last page shows that will no longer be the case. Finch is incredible. I re-read the article on David Mack and Ultimate X-Men, and it seems that Finch will be doing the art for those issue. Mack will be sending Wolverine to Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic
    I posted this in the other thread not realizing there was a new one. This week I got:

Ultimate Spidey #47 - Thought this was a really good issue. The dialog between MJ and Peter was good. Oh, and, wtf is that red stuff on Peter's shirt at the end of the issue? Is is just a really ugly shirt?

Supreme Power #3 - Haven't read it but it's my most looked forward comic this week.
    Ultimate Spider-Man was great. Bendid writes so well that Spidey becomes just as fun when he's not in uniform. I like the whole idea of him talking so much while he's in uniform due to being nervous. It makes sense.

Supereme will satisfy. Love those covers as well.

7. I thought you were gay.... i guess not.

8. Quote Originally Posted by BEBOPlover
    Are you guys big Mack fans? I dislike his current Dare Devil run.
    He's a great artist but I don't think much of his writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will
    Batman #619(Last week release but I nabbed the 'Heroes' cover finally)- Ending of Hush wasn't as great as I thought it would be but it certainly bumps the Riddler up the villains notch. Awesome usual Jim Lee art(but I think his action scenes could use some work in panel to panel transition).
    Hush was really dissapointing. I'm not a big fan of Jim Lee but I like Loeb's previous stuff with Batman. But this wasn't too hot. Next month pimp-ass Azzarello and Risso (100 Bullets) take over Batman. Can't wait.

9. I thought the new Ultimate Six was only decent. The last page leaves me in suspense for issue 3 though.
    I thought you were gay.... i guess not.

10. I was disappointed with Hush (well, the last issue anyway), and I stopped getting Daredevil now that Mack is on it. As for New X-men though, I am really getting into this new storyline, and I'd like to see what's going on. The thought of Mack taking over and having wolverine as the focal point is going to be bad, and I may actually stop getting it then too. He's a good artist, but it just doesn't fit right in comics, I feel, and his writing is boring. I already get Wolvie's solo title, let the team books be about the team! Oh well, money saved is always a good thing hehe.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com