Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Played Halo online for the first time.

1. Uh-oh Played Halo online for the first time.

Not enough money for an XBox right now (which I want badly along with Panzer Orta but I'm saving for an import PS2 and DDP DOJ right now) but luckily one of my best friends has one and a DSL connection. Been playing Halo at his house for over a year now with friends, love the multiplayer, especially the sidewinder/ice level and blood gulch. Sniper rifles and tanks rock. He recently got DSL and set up a network so Wednesday night I decided to go overand try to get Halo running on the Gamespy tunnel while he and another of my friends played C&C.

It just took about 30 minutes to get it all figured out and I was playing online, amazing. I did really well the first few rounds as a newbie. Did some sniping in the ice field. But then he and me took on 4 people on one system and we got aced by them pretty bad 3 rounds in a row.

Can't complain though, almost no lag. The only thing that's weird that we can't figure out though is that we could join games with no problem but we couldn't create a game, it would give a socket error/connection failed error. He has static and a firewall but that didn't prevent us from joining existing games. And we need to create some 2 on one system vs 2 on one system games.

Only thing that stunk was the last two people we played cheated by turning on the handicap to their favor, one shotgun and we were down.

2. Why don't you just go and buy the PC version of the game?!?! It'd be alot easier to play online.
    (goes back to playing BF secret weapons)

3. Halo PC Online has surpassed all but TFC as my favorite online fps ever. I never got to play multi on the xbox version though so it's all new to me.

4. No Halo PC for me because I don't have a DSL connection yet and my 4 1/2 year old system with 333 Amd, 3.2 gb hd AND voodoo banshee wouldn't allow it. Besides the novelty of playing on a team with a friend on the same XBox is too cool.

I was just wondering, is halo pc playable with 56k? I know cs is VERY easy to play with 56k *although worlds beyond broadband* but how is it with halo?

6. I doubt my crappy computer would even play Halo PC. Hey is a demo ever going to come out for it? Maybe I could give it a shot..

7. You need a tough computer to run Halo well and still have it look nice (ie, better than or equal to the Xbox version) but as far as connection goes, find a dedicated server and you should be ok. Try not to play more than 8 people if you're on Dialup. 16 players sends my ping to about 60 on the better servers and I'm used to 20 - 30.

Even so, it's very playable with latency.
    o_O

8. If you want to play Halo PC at a consistent 30fps you'll need a 2GHz+ processor and a Radeon 9600 Pro/comparable Geforce. 60fps is only achievable (and barely so) with the best possible hardware. I've got an Athlon XP 1900+ and a Radeon 8500, and even at 640x480 it's not what I'd consider playable. I can see why people are still playing the Xbox version.

9. ...we are now fast approaching the point at which you need a Ghz speed computer to run anything. *sigh*

Still, I actually like playing Halo through the tunnel rather than on the PC...there is that extra "novelty" factor that I think is cool...

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer
    You need a tough computer to run Halo well and still have it look nice (ie, better than or equal to the Xbox version) but as far as connection goes, find a dedicated server and you should be ok. Try not to play more than 8 people if you're on Dialup. 16 players sends my ping to about 60 on the better servers and I'm used to 20 - 30.

Even so, it's very playable with latency.
    If you're noticing any difference between 30 and 60, you've got a pretty crappy pc.