Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aura Battler Dunbine

1. Aura Battler Dunbine

Anyone watching this? I had been waiting for it to come here in some form for years now so I'm quite happy.

I typed up my impressions so far(only have the first 2 DVDs) but the board killed my post, so to summarize: "I like it a lot."

They ought to bring out Xabungle next.

What do you cats think about it?

2. I love the show. Excellent stuff.
    My review, along with some art and screenshots, is here - http://www.tokidokijournal.com/anime...attlerdunbine/
    If you haven't seen the show, check out the pics and listen to Rezo - it's good stuff.

3. Carl Macek's been mucking around with the name translations in the show.

Is nothing sacred?

4. Woo-hoo! Todd didn't die! Probably!

That is all. Woo-hoo!

5. Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    I typed up my impressions so far(only have the first 2 DVDs) but the board killed my post, so to summarize: "I like it a lot."
    I loved the designs in the series, so I've been trying to see it for years. Otakon 2003 was the first chance I had to check it out, and now that I know the DVDs are available, I'm going to have to look into it further. I really dug it, and the fact that people are still willing to release old shows makes me want to support them by buying up the ones I like.

6. ADV Updates on Dunbine (01:10 PM EST): Having a hard time finding Dunbine Vol. #5 at a retailer? Well, ease your concern because it looks like it's been bumped. And not just lightly. Volume #5, according to Right Stuf, will now street on 04/20/2004. Dunbine Vol. #6 and the Dunbine Box Set are now scheduled for an 06/08/2004 release.

Considering that Dunbine #5 was set to street according to the press releases and retailer listings back on 12/30/2003, and it's now been three weeks since then, "disappointing" doesn't cover how poorly this bump back was handled by ADV.

Source: www.animeondvd.com
    Well isn't that a kick in the balls. This better not push the conclusion of the series into 2005, or worse, be a precursor to the cancellation of volumes 7-12. Blood would spill if that happened.

7. Well after that crap news comes something good:

"Diamond Previews Updates (05:13 PM EST): The new update from Diamond Previews is up, and as usual there's some interesting bits in there that cannot be considered fully official yet until we get it confirmed elsewhere. Consider it a glimpse into the future.
    - Continuing the ongoing Dunbine mess, it looks like the series is getting a price drop to $19.99" - animeondvd.com

Diamond Comics lists volume 5 as $19.99, which means $12 online or $42.57 at Best Buy.

On a side note, the first thread I make on animeondvd.com's forums gets locked by Chris Beverage, the owner of the website.
    http://forums.animeondvd.com/showfla...t=2#Post322437
    D'oh ??

8. The April issue of Newtype USA has a lot of awesome Dunbine stuff:
    - 4 page spread with original artwork
    - 8 postcards featuring artwork and descriptions of the Aura Battlers
    - Card for a "buy 1 get 1 free" for the first 5 DVDs of Dunbine (i.e. buy volume 4, get volume 5 for $5 s/h)
    - 10 minute featurette on the DVD that recaps the first few DVDs (laid out to make it pretty spoiler-free), overlays it with translated commentary from the original creators, and ends with one minute of pure Dunbine action set to the opening theme. It's fucking awesome.

It looks like Dunbine fell way below ADV's anticipations and they are trying to get more fans of the show. Anyone who hasn't experienced Dunbine yet needs to buy the April 2004 issue of Newtype.

Quote Originally Posted by kabuki
    The April issue of Newtype USA has a lot of awesome Dunbine stuff:
    - 4 page spread with original artwork
    - 8 postcards featuring artwork and descriptions of the Aura Battlers
    - Card for a "buy 1 get 1 free" for the first 5 DVDs of Dunbine (i.e. buy volume 4, get volume 5 for $5 s/h)
    - 10 minute featurette on the DVD that recaps the first few DVDs (laid out to make it pretty spoiler-free), overlays it with translated commentary from the original creators, and ends with one minute of pure Dunbine action set to the opening theme. It's fucking awesome.

It looks like Dunbine fell way below ADV's anticipations and they are trying to get more fans of the show. Anyone who hasn't experienced Dunbine yet needs to buy the April 2004 issue of Newtype.
    You are quite right. When I saw the earlier trailers, I wasn't too impress at all. I was just like ho humm... and old school fantasy anime (not a strong fantasy fan). One I saw the featurette though, my perception on the series completely changed. I'd definitely say that he's sold me on it, but I don't have any cash to buy it yet.
    Taking it one day at a time.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Brotherman
    You are quite right. When I saw the earlier trailers, I wasn't too impress at all. I was just like ho humm... and old school fantasy anime (not a strong fantasy fan). One I saw the featurette though, my perception on the series completely changed. I'd definitely say that he's sold me on it, but I don't have any cash to buy it yet.
    That's excellent news. I hope you really enjoy it. I expect you will, as its story and characterizations are amazing. Everything about the series is great - even the dub is good!

One thing to remember, volumes 5 through 12 will all be MSRP $19.99, so that's like $12 at most places, which is just awesome.