Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATED: RARE goes Multiplatform--CONFIRMED by IGN & GameSpot.

1. UPDATED: RARE goes Multiplatform--CONFIRMED by IGN & GameSpot.

Well, the warning signs were there... IGNCube's Matt Cassamassina confirmed it today on the Gaming-Age boards and in "Ed's Rumor Report" at IGNCUBE.

UPDATE: Gamespot confirmed it as well in their "Spot" letters section today:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/features/video/letters/

Rare Really Leaving?
    [POSTED: 02-May-02]

Dear guy who does The Spot,

Other sites keep reporting that Rare is leaving second-party status [at Nintendo] to make games for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox. Is this true? If it is, it would be a huge blow to Nintendo and one that might really hurt them in the long run.

-Ian

I answered this question a while back, and at the time I had every reason to believe that the rumors were just speculation. After all, Nintendo owns a significant portion of Rare, it built the company's brand-new headquarters, and it has arguably been a big part of making Rare what it is today. After asking around, I had found no evidence that would lead me to believe the rumors were true and they just didn't make much sense.

Well, since then, I've talked to extremely reliable sources who have told me that the rumors are more than just a hoax propagated on message boards. Apparently, Rare has been shopping its games around to other publishers. I suppose that we'll find out for sure at E3, but I think it might be a done deal. Making it all the more likely is a pamphlet produced by Nintendo that outlines its upcoming GameCube games. Interestingly enough, two of Rare's previously announced GameCube games (Donkey Kong Racing and Kameo: Elements of Power) were not included in the pamphlet. While we do not report on rumors here at GameSpot, I just thought I'd let our readers know about what I found out so they can make up their own minds.

From Gaming-Age forum:

http://pub35.ezboard.com/fgamingagef...ID=23183.topic

Guh.

Just got my confirmation.

According to a UK source -- can't say who, Rare is "definitely, absolutely, 100% doing Xbox and PS2 development down here. They've had kits for three months or more."

Source also says that Diddy Kong Racing is no longer Diddy Kong Racing. It's a multi-platform racer -- Nintendo has demanded all of its licensed characters be removed.

Perfect Dark 0 development going shitty. Team members keep quitting. Last this person heard, they were exploring a cel shaded look.

Go figure.

And what initially started this thread, he previously said this on the IGN Boards before confirming it:

boards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=21680607&page=1

One of the board posters is asking for my input on the Rare rumors, so here it is.

Do I think something is up? Yes. Do I know exactly what that is? No.

I've heard from about 10 sources now that Rare is going to "do its own thing." I think this means that the company will still continue to focus on GameCube development, but may also pursue some sort of third-party structure too -- perhaps seeking out publishers, such as Activision, for a GameCube, PS2 or Xbox project that Nintendo is not interested in.

This is not confirmed, this is speculation on my part. But based on things I've heard.

I've also heard that the Stamper brothers will be retiring. This has not been announced or confirmed in any way, but it comes from several sources.

I do think we'll know more at E3.
    And once again, at IGNCube's "Rumor Report" [requires Insider subscription to view]:

cube.ign.com/articles/358/358329p1.html

Capcommie Guest
    I think your idea of confirmed and mine are different...

3. Did Rare have a falling out with Nintendo?

wEEman33 Guest
    Ill believe it when I see some sort of official statement from RARE. IGN is usually one of the last people to get "breaking news"

5. shinobi, get ready to hand over that left nut.

6. Wow, now everyone might have a chance to experience Rare's overratedness....

7. Originally posted by Nash
    shinobi, get ready to hand over that left nut.
    There's a reason I posted what I did.

CorruptedOldGnom(sic): Amen. This is most likely the single largest piece of underwhemling news I'll hear from E3. Boy oh boy, I can't wait to ignore their projects on multiple platforms now, while valuable preview space and resources get wasted in magazines and in online publications going on and on about Rare's new project and how great it's going to be. And how much I'm going to think it's either the most mediocore game I've played in years, or just plain crap.

8. IMO, the last good game rare made was battletoads.. then goldeneye got a lot of attention, and everything else pretty much sucked.. nintendo's probably better off without them/not having to rely on them..
    BTW, anyone heard?? Star fox has been delayed until fall.. as if that won't turn out to be another 3D wanderer..

i could care less about which way rare goes.
    MK2 on XBLA plz - let the unfolding of gameplay begin!!

Eh... without the Nintendo characters I don't see them going very far.

10. Goldeneye is horribly overrated... sooooo sloooooowwww.... i'll take Outrigger or Unreal Tourney on my DC over goldeneye any day...