Page 1 of 18 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

1. Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System is a third-person action game developed by Swinging Ape Studios. You control Glitch, a heavily armed robot trying to free his people from the tyrannical grip of General Corrosive. The game looks like it's basically a shooter, with FPS-type controls, but with a couple of different features.

Glitch's right arm is used for weapons, which range from machine guns to projectile saw blades to rocket launchers. His left arm is used for supporting items, such as grenades or a scope that lets you snipe enemies from afar when combined with certain weapons (kinda reminds me of Dr. Hawkins from MDK2). Weapons can be upgraded, and Glitch can improve his own performance by powering up his servos (letting him reload faster, for example).

One cool tool you can use is the control tether. Use it on an enemy, and you are able to control it within a certain range. It becomes useful to scout out upcoming areas with a regular bot, or clear out heavily armed areas with larger war machines. Also, in the recent OXM demo, Glitch was able to man a tank much like Halo's Scorpion.

Over its 30+ missions, Metal Arms should have platforming and puzzle elements in addition to lots of run & gun action (at least that's what previews are saying). Add to that some nice-sounding four-player split-screen modes for Xbox and Cube (2-player for PS2), and the game is shaping up pretty well. It's got a light-hearted nature to it (Glitch has two robot support troops named Hosed and Screwed, whom you can give basic commands to), and runs super-smoothly based on the demo.

Metal Arms ships 11/18 for all three systems. It runs the risk of being overlooked with a couple similar games coming out around the same time, but it looks so far to be a quality game.

IGN preview of Cube version

Game Zone interview w/Swinging Ape

Official Metal Arms site

Swinging Ape Studios Metal Arms Production Site

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

2. I really enjoyed the OXBM demo, even though I noticed a strange glitch with the top of the screen from time to time. Quite a fun little game.

JM

3. I only watched the videos, but I thin the game looks great. Very action packed, with some great visuals, cool weapons and ides(like taking control of enemy machines). I wish I could play the demo, but I am not in the position to buy OXBM demo

I will try to rent it though

4. I didn't like the demo at all. I just couldn't get into it. I might give it another shot upon release, but it doesn't appeal to me much...

The Dino Crisis 3 demo on the disc made me happy, however. It's very much DC2ish and not at all like the first DC... which is a good thing.

5. Quote Originally Posted by JM
    I really enjoyed the OXBM demo, even though I noticed a strange glitch
    OMGPUNNAGE!

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

6. Argggh! I didn't even notice that!

JM

7. Sounds like a new Oddworld game with mechs... hmmm my wife might like this.

8. No, imagine Brute Force, but fun.

JM

The demo was good(albeit not the most original game) but I don't know if the full game will hold my interest all the way through.

10. There was a developer interview on Electric Playground recently. They said that you can take control of other robots using Glitch's special power. They showed a video where Glitch possessed a tank-like robot and he basically walked into a level and decimated the enemies.

I've played the Xbox demo, and I loved it. It probably will get overlooked seeing as its releasing on the same day as Mario Kart, Manhunt, and FFX-2. Too bad, because it looks to be a very good game.