Thread: Retro: Shadow Squadron (32X)

1. Retro: Shadow Squadron (32X)

Mention 32X and Space Shooter, and most would think of Star Wars Arcade...

Well, Shadow Squadron trounces Star Wars in nearly all aspects. It features decent flat-shaded polygon ships, solid control (6-button req'd), and an enjoyable arcade feel.

Combat is free-roaming and features both cockpit and behind-ship camera views. Like Star Wars, 2 players could play as pilot and gunner. Level design and enemy AI are wholly average, but not bad by any means...

Did anyone check this game out? It came out in 1995, I believe...

Here's a pic (taken from vg museum)

2. I have the game. I have'nt played it in ages, but what I played really has'nt made much of an impact. I think it had more to do with the fact that I bought the game about 3 years ago, boxed and in mint condition.

3. I really liked it at the time, actually. It wasn't mine and I didn't own a 32X, so played it at a friend's house, but it almost persuaded me on the spot to get one. A really well done 3D shooter.

Then my Sega CD died, and once that was gone my Genesis was basically retired. No 32X for me, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. Bad because I'd like to have gotten one at the $20 blow-out price they finally settled at and good because if I remember right very few consoles break down as fast as a 32X.

James

4. This game never got the respect it deserved. Sure, it may not have much character, but that's part of what made the game so cool. It didn't waste your time with some bullshit storyline or cheesy aliens, just clean graphics and tight gameplay. To this day I'm still impressed by the replays, which play back your entire game.
    BTW, James, I have yet to come across a broken 32X, although there are plenty of incomplete units out there, ie missing essential cables and such. So if anyone has a 32X that craps out, it would be a good idea to hang on to the cables and maybe pick up a bare system on the cheap.