Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Buy and anime

1. Thumbs Up Best Buy and anime

So I was at Best Buy tonight picking up 28 Days Later and scanned over the new anime. Infinite Ryvius was on the shelves. Hrmmm, cool! I pick up the non-box set version. $29.99. Twenty-nine dollars and ninety-nine cents. I look around to see if I'm in Suncoast or Best Buy. Best Buy it is. I look at the other copies. All marked $29.99.

What. The. Fuck.

I got pissed when ADV titles shifted from $17.99 to $19.99 to $22.99 to $24.99 so I stopped buying them there. I got pissed when other companies' releases jumped from $22.99 to $24.99. But FULL MSRP? That's fucking rediculous.

Fuck Best Buy's anime section. Fuck them to hell.

I went to Target afterwards and picked up Heat Guy J volume 2 for $14.99. Now THAT is more like it. Looks like I'll be going back to making all my purchases online and using Target and Wal-Mart as my back-ups.

I mean, FULL FUCKING MSRP? Gah!

2. *head explodes*

the shift from $18 to $20 wasn't that bad, but anything past that is a bit much. and msrp? that's just shitty. if that's the case i'll just go to Suncoast and pick up my shit since they've got a bigger selection at the same shitty prices.

and it was only like the beginning of the month where i noticed that their most expensive discs cost $25 (Junker's Come Home and Spirit of Wonder). and yea, they might as well charge full price for Witch Hunter Robin w/box too.

3. They did the same with regular DVDs. Before thier prices were reasonable, but it's been full MSRP for a while now. I've had no reason to shop there for a long time anyway.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

4. I remember when ADV had Icelion(sp,) and Animego was selling Arcadia of My Youth for $40 on VHS no less. Still nothing pisses me off more than the way they fucked us over on Neon Genesis, 3 eps per DVD?! They actually split an episode in half just to strech out the number of disks, and now they're only placing 4 eps of Saint Seiya on a diskand it's 120+ episodes long!

It's about time these companies realized that not every anime is DBZ. They can't keep forcing this crap on us like they did with that series. DBZ fans are stupid kids who'll buy anything they're told, but with something like Saint Seiya or Inu Yasha, where the market is in the 16 plus category, you won't get away with the same practices. I mean look at what Pioneer did with Sailor Moon, 6-7 episodes per disk, they did this because they knew their market.

5. Quote Originally Posted by ShineAqua
    ...Neon Genesis...They actually split an episode in half just to strech out the number of disks...
    What you talking about, Willis?

6. Just buy online. In general, even with shipping the prices are usually lower than what Suncoast or even BB would charge you.

So its online retailers like DeepDiscountVideo and such, or Ebay for me.

7. Quote Originally Posted by kabuki
    I went to Target afterwards and picked up Heat Guy J volume 2 for $14.99. Now THAT is more like it. Looks like I'll be going back to making all my purchases online and using Target and Wal-Mart as my back-ups.
    What is that a in store special, the website has it listed as $25.38... I hate Target because none of the prices are the same in the stores or the website for those who don't have one near us

8. where the market is in the 16 plus category, you won't get away with the same practices.
    Not necessarily. Keep in mind that Viz was selling Ranma at the wonderfully generous price of $30 for two episodes on VHS for a very long time and was doing very well with it. I'm not much a Ranma guy myself so I've got no idea how the DVDs were done. In any case I don't think too many kids were out there shelling out $400 for a single TV season's worth of tapes.

It's not about being kids who will pay out the nose for anything related to Such-And-Such: The Anime. It's about being somebody, ANYbody who will pay out the nose for Such-And-Such: The Anime. Ripoff or not, if people want it they want it, and quite frankly, the major anime distributors don't seem have any problems selling discs.

As for cheap DVDs, I've said it before. I'll say it again.

dvdpricesearch.com

You get it to me for cheap with reasonable service, congrats, you have my (meager) dollar.
    Subatomic Brainfreeze, Licensed Professional

www.deepdiscountdvd.com

Seriously... there is no reason to buy DVDs in a retail outlet anymore. They are cheaper online, shipping is free, and they take, like, two days to get to you.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Icepick
    www.deepdiscountdvd.com

Seriously... there is no reason to buy DVDs in a retail outlet anymore. They are cheaper online, shipping is free, and they take, like, two days to get to you.
    I used to buy like 98% of my anime online. I've since cut back in spending and am behind in a few series', so when I'm out shopping it is sometimes nice just to be able to grab a disc off the shelf. But, back to online and pre-ordering I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf
    What is that a in store special, the website has it listed as $25.38... I hate Target because none of the prices are the same in the stores or the website for those who don't have one near us
    A buddy of mine down in Georgia scored the same deal at his local Target, so it is not just my store that is having the sale. But yeah, online the price is still high.
    BTW, the wolf guy returns on this disc