Thread: X-RGB2 or X-RGB2+ for use with GC and Xbox?

1. X-RGB2 or X-RGB2+ for use with GC and Xbox?

I need a good solution for hooking up my Cube and Xbox. Right now they are running through nasty(-ish) S-video into a respectable TV. That's all well and good, but I need to get these puppies into my tri-mode Wells Gardner. The Xbox has an RGB cable available. Is that all I'd need for that console, or is there a progressive scan mode on the Xbox that a Scart cable won't work with? Since the GC has no RGB or VGA (bastards!), component video seems to be the best output. There is a cable mod out there to pull VGA out of the component cable, but that only works for Progressive scan games and I don't know if it will get RGB out of interlaced games or not. Do I spend the money on an X-RGB, or will that not get me anything beyond what the Cube's cable mod and X-box Scart cable will get me as far as my Wells Gardner is concerned (it will take standard, medium, and VGA).

If I do get an XRGB, do I get 2 or 2+? I heard 2+ removed 480p support, but added a way to get component video in. So confused....

2. Well, if you don't mind not getting RGB for some other consoles, you might go with a component-to-VGA converter for the same price. At least it'll work regardless of if it's getting a progressive signal or not. Don't have an XRGB, so I can't really help much with a comparison.

3. There was a post a couple of months ago about how to get RGB from GC. Don't know a solution for the X Box but one probably exists since they're using NVidia's VGA rasterizer chips. If you want to open your XBox and trace the leads of video back to an IC and tell me the name of that chip. I can tell you if VGA out is possible from it.

seen

4. I don't think any of the XRGB units support progressive scan (could be wrong about this) but XRGB-2+ definitely doesn't (that's the one I have). You'll have to use the component-to-RGB or component-to-D-terminal adapters that come with the XRGB-2 to hook up an Xbox. You can't use a European SCART cable because the plugs are different. I had to use the component-to-D-terminal adapter to hook up my Xbox because when I tried to use the RGB port the picture rolled.

Honestly, the picture quality through the XRGB-2 isn't any better than what you can get with S-Video on a TV with the Xbox (in my opinion). Going through the S-Video or (heaven forbid) composite on the XRGB-2 is much worse than a decent TV. I originally bought the XRGB to use with my Playstation and Saturn, and it works nicely for those consoles. However, I'm looking into buying a component to VGA adapter (like the ones from Audio Authority) as I've been disappointed with how the Xbox looks through the XRGB-2.

5. George's TIA, I agree with you- I've been there.

The composite derived output of the original XRGB-2 looks like complete filth. Reds tend to bleed like hell, and there's a bit of distortion in the pic. Frankly, just using an S-Video TV beats that.

If you use the XRGB-2 for any system, use only the RGB input. I have a VGA monitor in Tate for vertical shmups on the Saturn, and RayForce looks flat out amazing through this. Now I need to track down PS RGB cables...

6. Well, it turns out that the Xbox hacker community has found a way to pull VGA out of the Xbox A/V port. They're using real R G B and H and V sync signals, so it sould be real VGA and not something upscanned from the composite video. Users are saying it's amazing. I ordered one some guy was making for $70. That solves that problem. As for the Cube, it looks like that cable mod can be used for both RGB and VGA, so as soon as I can track down a 1st party component cable, that might solve that problem.

7. Originally posted by Chibi Nappa
    Well, it turns out that the Xbox hacker community has found a way to pull VGA out of the Xbox A/V port. They're using real R G B and H and V sync signals, so it sould be real VGA and not something upscanned from the composite video. Users are saying it's amazing. I ordered one some guy was making for $70. That solves that problem. As for the Cube, it looks like that cable mod can be used for both RGB and VGA, so as soon as I can track down a 1st party component cable, that might solve that problem.
    Ok. I just saw the XBox VGA conversion. It converts component video into RGB C and V syncs.

seen

8. Chibi Nappa, you are experiencing the same thing I am.

When the best option arises, let me know...

By the way, I'm pretty sure there are RGB Scart Japanese standard plugs floating around for the XBOX that work without a mod. The GC, like the N64, requires a messy mod to do RGB.

Keep me updated...