Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snow Bros.

1. Meh Snow Bros.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?...S&game_id=9601

http://www.toaplan.com/snowbros/

Its been over a year since I’ve ranted about this game, so for my 2000th post…

Snow Bros.- as far as I’m concerned its one of the finest pieces of entertainment software ever coded.

The game is a bit like Bubble Bobble. You have the joystck and two buttons: one to jump and the other to throw snow. In order to advance to the next single-screen stage, you must eliminate all enemies. To do so, you must either coat them in snow and kick the resulting snowball into a wall. You can kick the snowball at other enemies to kill them as well. After every ten stages, you face a boss.

Simple enough? Perhaps, as the game can be cleared on one credit with a modest amount of practice. However, beating the game is not the real meat of this game…rather, its being able to get 100% chain reactions on each stage. This one dynamic lifts Snow Bros. from a simple romp into a real challenge for mastery. Snow Brothers is both a Bubble Bobble-esque action game, and also a mind-warping puzzle game.

A 100% chain is essentially achieved by clearing an entire stage by kicking just ONE snowball. Snowballs will ricochet with other snowballs, and with proper timing and snowball placement, one can bring swift death to enemies in one single chain reaction. Clearing the entire screen in one chain reaction results in uber-bonus points.

I’ve been playing Snow Bros intensely for about seven years, and I am still a long ways from achieving 100% on every stage. However, the brilliant gameplay dynamic Toaplan inserted into this game makes the path lots of fun, even after 7 years.

The arcade version is the way to go here- the NES version is but a faded shadow of the original. In fact, the NES version has enough stage-design differences to nearly ruin the entire concept and strategy of the 100% chain. There was a Mega-Drive version, that was very accurate to the arcade, and it goes for quite a bit on ebay.

If you can’t find an arcade cab, try it on MAME. I urge you all to at least try to get a few 100%. Then you may see the gaming gem that I see…

Oh, and ignore the HORRIBLE sequel, it is most definitely unworthy of its predecessor.

Play it and Love it!

2. I've played the NES version through emulation. I was'nt impressed with it and judging by what you said about the NES conversion, I can see why.

Maybe I'll try the link, when I have more time.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Zerodash
    A 100% chain is essentially achieved by clearing an entire stage by kicking just ONE snowball. Snowballs will ricochet with other snowballs, and with proper timing and snowball placement, one can bring swift death to enemies in one single chain reaction. Clearing the entire screen in one chain reaction results in uber-bonus points.
    Action and puzzle - sweet.

Wasn't this game tossed on some Saturn or Playstation compilation disc?

4. I love Toaplan. I've wanted the megadrive version of Snow Bros. forever now, but its so damned expensive.

5. I rather liked the NES version when I was younger,, I'd like to try the arcade version if the gameplay si significantly different.

6. Dude... change the fucking topic. This is a "Let's Zerodash: Snow Bros." thread.

7. This game still kicks after 13 years.

8. The GB port was actually pretty nice.

9. Quote Originally Posted by kabuki
    Wasn't this game tossed on some Saturn or Playstation compilation disc?

I'd love to know what compilation that was...I've heard bits and pieces about it, but have yet to confirm if it exists...

10. Ah Snow Bros is a right soft lad game.

Have you played Snow Bros 3 yet?
    3DO Serial No. 033693019 "Serial number brothers!!!......" *high five*